The Senior Research Scientist for Theoretical Physics is responsible for the building of new research prototypes from scratch for their eventual productionization and for publishing new ideas in top research conferences. This role is part of the global Rakuten Institute of Technology (RIT), the corporate R&D department responsible for leading strategic technological progress. RIT collaborates with the Harvard Quantum Initiative to accelerate the application of quantum technology to industry, and as the part of this collaboration, the researchers will have the access to Harvard Department of Physics facilities as visiting scholars.
1.Create ideas and theory to apply quantum technology to Rakuten business, feasible within 2 years timeframe of realistic quantum computer existing at that point.
2.Together with experimental groups, demonstrate the potential in principle of concept fashion in 2 years timeframe.
3.Play the role of evangelist to deeply understand the potential applications and implications of quantum technologies and educate people across Rakuten group including executives and employee worldwide about the excitement of the technology.
4.Together with top-level academic institutes around the world, build and publish papers to advance the state of art understanding of the applications of quantum technologies to make Rakuten known as the leading research institute of quantum technology.
5. Collaborate with the rest of the researchers in RIT to advance the cross-disciplinary ideas for physics and computer science.
6.As part of Rakuten's collaboration with the Harvard Quantum Initiative, the researchers are expected to develop relationships and research collaborations with faculty members in Harvard Department of Physics.
MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities)
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Strong research experience in Theoretical Physics.
- Strong programming skills in at least one of the following: C/C++, Java and/or Python.
- Academic publications in top-tier peer-reviewed international conferences/journals*.
- Strong skills in data structures, computer science algorithms and Machine Learning.
- QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS
- PhD in Theoretical Physics or computer science or a related field.
RAKUTEN SHUGI PRINCIPLES
Our worldwide practices describe specific behaviors that make Rakuten unique and united across the world. We expect Rakuten employees to model these 5 Shugi Principles of Success.
- Always improve, always advance. Only be satisfied with complete success - Kaizen.
- Be passionately professional. Take an uncompromising approach to your work and be determined to be the best.
- Hypothesize - Practice - Validate - Shikumika. Use the Rakuten Cycle to success in unknown territory.
- Maximize Customer Satisfaction. The greatest satisfaction for workers in a service industry is to see their customers smile.
- Speed!! Speed!! Speed!! Always be conscious of time. Take charge, set clear goals, and engage your team.