Senior Research Scientist
- Boston, MA
Established in 1997, Rakuten is the biggest E-commerce company in Japan and is also among the largest five E-commerce companies in the world. Rakuten has been growing rapidly, and it has over 40 businesses such as E-commerce marketplace, online travel agencies and financial services.
Rakuten Institute of Technology http://rit.rakuten.co.jp/
Rakuten Institute of Technology (RIT) is the corporate R&D department of the Rakuten group and is responsible for leading strategic technological progress. RIT's targets vary from basic technologies to innovative new services. RIT consists of highly motivated research scientists located in Tokyo, Boston, Paris, Singapore and San Mateo who are driven by strong curiosity.
Senior Research Scientist
RIT-Boston is calling for senior research scientists who have strong expertise in the fields of Natural Language Processing (NLP) and Machine Learning (ML) as follows. As a senior research scientist, you will lead building new research prototypes for their eventual productionization.
- Propose new research in NLP and/or algorithms (for instance, new neural architectures in deep learning for NLP) on product data.
- Create core components for our services: Conduct research on sequence prediction models for NLP, large-scale language models, large-scale hierarchical classification models, query generation from documents, and deep learning methods for product text understanding.
- Contribute to building large-scale NLP pipeline frameworks for training ML algorithms and deployment of NLP and ML models as services for business units to consume.
- Publish your research in top tier NLP and ML conferences and file patents.
- PhD in computer science or a related field.
- Research experience in NLP, ML and/or data/text mining.
- Strong programming skills in at least one of the following: C/C++, Java and/or Python.
- Strong background in natural language processing, specifically in language analysis technologies, e.g., word segmentation, word embeddings, PoS tagging, named entity recognition, parsing, or machine translation.
- Academic publications in top-tier peer-reviewed international conferences/journals.
Preferred knowledge and skills
- Strong skills in data structures, algorithms, dockerization and software development skills for building and training Machine Learning/Deep Learning models on Kubernetes CPU/GPU clusters.
- Fluency in one or more of the following languages: English, Japanese, German, Spanish, French, Indonesian, Portuguese, Thai, Chinese.
Location: Boston, MA, USA
- Perks include free catered lunches, company-wide outings, competitive compensation and freedom to publish papers and patents.
NAACL-HLT, ACL, EACL, EMNLP, CoNLL, COLING, IJCAI, SIGIR, WWW (Web), WSDM, ICML, NeuRIPS, JMLR, NIST Tracks in NLP, AAAI, CIKM, KDD, AISTATS, ICLR, UAI, COLT, ICDM, etc.
See what it's like working at our Crimson House West campus in San Mateo, CA!
Rakuten may choose to consider applicants that require some form of company sponsorship to work in the United States at its sole discretion, based on business needs.
Rakuten is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, marital status or any legally protected status.
Women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans are encouraged to apply.
Back to top