Are you looking for something bigger? Do you want a job that is going to challenge you and continue to grow with you? Do you have excellent judgment and a practical business focused mindset? If so, we are looking for you. As Senior Product Counsel you will work with our product and engineering teams to bring new products and features to market. You will be supporting Rakuten's privacy and compliance initiatives and providing sound legal advice in a constantly evolving and fast paced environment. If you would prefer to stay in your lane and do the same tasks over and over, this is not the position for you. We need someone who is nimble and creative, independent, and proactive, and above all, someone who can join our small but mighty legal team, pitch in and help us take this company to new heights.
· Provide strategic commercial and legal advice to Rakuten's product and engineering teams on a variety of legal and compliance issues.
· Draft clear and concise terms of service, legal disclosures, privacy notices, and disclaimers.
· Review and provide counsel on technical specifications, data flows, UI/UX design, and wireframes with focus on information security and data privacy.
· Review, negotiate and draft a complex inbound technology procurement and strategic technology partnership agreements.
· Formulate and implement corporate legal policy in support of data privacy, data governance, and other compliance initiatives.
· Provide legal support for M&A, internal process controls, and corporate governance.
· Remain up to date on relevant changes in data privacy laws and industry trends and turn them into sound commercial advice to the company.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
· JD and a minimum of 5+ years of relevant legal experience (with at least 2+ years of corporate experience in a leading law firm and 3+ years of in-house legal experience at a technology company).
· Experience with data privacy, information security, open source software, SaaS, and technology and software licensing.
· Familiarity with launching products and advising on the legal and regulatory aspects of B2B or B2B2C products.
· Organized, detail oriented, and a team player.
· A desire to take on projects and bring them across the finish line no matter how big or small.
· A mindset that deep understanding of our company and products is the only way to provide excellent legal advice.