The Lead Research Scientist for Theoretical Physics will lead a group of research scientist to create new innovation in theory and applications of quantum technology to Rakuten business. This role is part of the global Rakuten Institute of Technology (RIT), the corporate R&D department responsible for leading strategic technological progress. RIT collaborates with Harvard to accelerate the application of quantum technology to industry, and as the part of this collaboration, the researchers will have the access to Harvard physics department facilities as visiting scholars.
- Create ideas and theory to apply quantum technology to Rakuten business, feasible within 2 years timeframe of realistic quantum computer existing at that point.
- Together with experimental groups, demonstrate the potential in principle of concept fashion in 2 years timeframe.
- Play the role of evangelist to deeply understand the potential applications and implications of quantum technologies and educate people across Rakuten group including executives and employee worldwide about the excitement of the technology.
- Together with top-level academic institutes around the world, build and publish papers to advance the state of art understanding of the applications of quantum technologies to make Rakuten known as the leading research institute of quantum technology.
- Collaborate with the rest of the researchers in RIT to advance the cross-disciplinary ideas for physics and computer science.
- Manage a group of research scientists to make larger impacts in the society in alignment with Rakuten's vision/mission
- Grow the careers of research scientists in Rakuten and in physics community in order for them to have larger impacts in the society.
- Define great problems both from business and academic perspective to set the goals and directions of theoretical physics group in Rakuten by aligning with Rakuten vision/missions.
- Build partnership and association between Rakuten and top-level academic institutes in the world in order to accelerate physics research and Rakuten's vision/mission.
- As part of Harvard-Rakuten collaboration, the researchers are expected to develop relationships and research collaborations with faculty members in Harvard physics department.
MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities)
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Strong research experience in theoretical physics, especially areas related to quantum information science, condensed matter physics, quantum optics, and atomic physics.
- Good experience to build theories to interface between experiments and theory such as proposals and explanations of experiments, and some experience to write papers together with experimentalists.
- Academic publications in top-tier peer-reviewed international conferences/journals*.
- Some programming skills in at least one of the following: C/C++, Java and/or Python.
- Some experience and interests in computer science algorithms and Machine Learning/AI
- Some experience to lead a group of researchers ( 1 to 5) to engage with research and create successful outcomes.
- PhD in Theoretical Physics or computer science or a related field.
RAKUTEN SHUGI PRINCIPLES
Our worldwide practices describe specific behaviors that make Rakuten unique and united across the world. We expect Rakuten employees to model these 5 Shugi Principles of Success.
- Always improve, always advance. Only be satisfied with complete success - Kaizen.
- Be passionately professional. Take an uncompromising approach to your work and be determined to be the best.
- Hypothesize - Practice - Validate - Shikumika. Use the Rakuten Cycle to success in unknown territory.
- Maximize Customer Satisfaction. The greatest satisfaction for workers in a service industry is to see their customers smile.
- Speed!! Speed!! Speed!! Always be conscious of time. Take charge, set clear goals, and engage your team.