Lead Product Designer (UX/UI)
We are looking for a Lead Product Designer, with a true passion for knowledge, smart design, and impactful UX|UI decisions. As an ideal candidate, you are ambitious and motivated, with an immediate and obvious passion for solving complex problems and turning them into simple and engaging experiences. You work well independently, can manage other Product Designers while providing constructive feedback, and are confident in collaborating with Copywriters, Product Managers and Engineers. You will be able to make deliberate design decisions and translate any given user-experience journey into a smooth and intuitive interaction. You are up to date with current mobile, tablet and web design trends (including implementation practices) and realize that product design is a fluid field that requires constant adaptation and change.
What’s the job?
- Work with Product, Engineering, Research, Copy, and Operations to design and visualize the future of our end-to-end customer experience.
- Manage other designers. Provide feedback and direction on their work while maintaining your own portfolio of work.
- Partner with Design Operations to identify design needs, define requirements, assist in design planning, activities and execution.
- Deliver models, information architecture, flows, wireframes, low and high-fidelity mock-ups, and other design deliverables including clickable/animated prototypes.
- Bring design aesthetic to bear in creating the best user experience by using your highly developed visual design skills to envision and create beautiful experiences.
- Partner with User Experience Research to use mixed usability testing methods to gather qualitative and quantitative data, in order to identify common pain points, feature enhancements or new products. Conduct light-weight research independently to inform design decisions.
- Present and defend your vision and rationale behind all design decisions to stakeholders and your team, which are based on the overall product roadmap, as well as your own design thinking and fundamental principles (i.e. color theory, visual weight and hierarchy, typography, etc.).
- Work closely with Product and Engineering to validate the feasibility of your work and ensure high-quality implementation.
- Partner closely with Product, Engineering, and QA, to rapidly iterate on designs based on user feedback, tech constraints, and market dynamics.
- Partner closely with the Business to understand their objectives and translate those objectives to elegant design solutions over the lifecycle of the product.
- Keep abreast of the latest changes in industry standards and share those changes with the rest of the team.
What is expected of me?
- Minimum 8 years of experience in designing, building and shipping high quality web and mobile applications.
- 5+ years of experience in interaction and visual design.
- 3+ years of leadership/management experience.
- A strong portfolio across multiple devices and platforms that highlight your approach to problem solving, as well as the solutions themselves. Case studies should demonstrate your skills in research, user experience, visual design, and interaction design.
- Have a holistic understanding of product design, including visual design, experience design, and business acumen.
- Experience partnering with Product, Engineering, and Research to craft broader product strategies. A positive attitude, open mindset.
- Excellent communication in speaking and writing, an engaging presentation style, and strong visual storytelling. You have a strong understanding of the HCD process; how to lead it and teach others.
- Ability to think long-term and short-term to meet the constraints of a continuous release process while iterating toward a future vision.
- Proficiency with design and prototyping software, e.g. Adobe Creative Suite, Sketch, Figma, InVision, After Effects, Principle, Framer X, Zeplin.
- Understanding of basic front-end languages. You know the constraints of developing for multiple devices and how to create a unified experience across them.
- The ability to lead and mentor talented designers to create great experiences for our customers.
- Experience building and/or contributing to design systems collaboratively from the ground up.
- Design experience within an ecommerce or marketplace is preferred with a mobile first mentality.
Join Rakuten Rewards (formerly known as Ebates) and enjoy a fast-paced, friendly environment where creativity and teamwork are valued and results are recognized. We’re headquartered in the San Francisco Bay Area and have 12 offices worldwide. Our group of companies includes ShopStyle and Cartera Commerce.
As part of the Rakuten Rewards team, you’ll experience the best of both worlds: a large, profitable, multinational company with the rapid growth and agility of a startup.
Back to top