Sr. Tooling Engineer (Injection Molding)
Rain Bird Corporation, the irrigation industry leader for over 80 years, creates innovative irrigation products that make beautiful landscapes, golf courses, and grow productive agricultural crops while saving water.
Rain Bird seeks a Tooling Engineer who will collaborate with Design Engineers, Process Engineers, and Quality Engineers to develop and improve product designs for robust injection molded components. You are responsible for specification and procurement of injection mold tooling required for new product development projects. You will proactively identify, justify and implement quality improvement projects to improve the performance and consistency of injection molded components. As well as identify, justify, and implement cost reduction projects to reduce cost of injection molded components. As the subject matter expert you are responsible for the coordination of maintenance and repair of the injection mold tooling for several high volume product lines. This requires collaboration with supply management, product design, industrial design, and manufacturing groups on material selection, design feasibility and aesthetics of new plastic part & tooling designs. Working closely with mold makers and designers to insure molds will meet Rain Bird mold standards to produce high quality parts.
Who you are:
You are a creative problem solver. You have the ability to diagnose, analyze and recommend solutions for tooling concerns. You are a person who has the ability to work in both a team atmosphere as well as matrix environment. You are on out of the box thinker and can easily rise up to a design challenge.
- Demonstrated experience in achieving results in areas of responsibility described above
- BS Degree in an Engineering discipline
- Excellent theoretical and applied knowledge of mechanical engineering concepts
- Working knowledge of plastic and elastomeric materials
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- 5+ years of hands-on experience involving specification, procurement, and qualification of molds for injection molded components
- Serve as internal plastic tooling and manufacturing expert by leveraging a thorough understanding of properties of various mold-making materials and tool component fabrication techniques
- Develop collaborative relationships with suppliers through training and quality control visits
- Manage tool design, fabrication, process development, and qualification at the supplier
- Collaborate with supply management, product design, industrial design, and manufacturing groups on material selection, design feasibility and aesthetics of new plastic part & tooling designs
- Advise supplier plants on maintaining correct controls on the processes
- Proven track record of developing complex mold tooling for production of high quality, low cost, high volume components
- Working knowledge of quality improvement, lean manufacturing methods, statistical process controls, and process capability
- Proficient with the use of Design for Manufacturing, SPC, DOE and Six Sigma techniques
- Institute continuous process improvement measures from initial product design through production ramp of new products
- Well organized, enthusiastic, high energy, strong work ethic
- Proficient in the use of Microsoft Office applications (Work, Excel, Outlook, Project)
- Ability to perform financial analysis and cost justifications
- Travel up to 33% of work schedule
- Proficient in the use of CAD (SolidWorks) and mold flow analysis
- Display excellent math skills as well as problem solving, analytic, project management and time management skills
- Experience with LIM processing & molds
- Experience in managing complex development programs with overseas tooling vendors (Asia) is preferred
- Supervisory experience
- Willing to travel to the US, Mexico & China to support Rain Bird molds
- Bilingual – English, Spanish, and /or Chinese
What’s in it for you:
In addition to a competitive salary, we offer competitive, comprehensive career development, and a generous benefits program that reflects the company’s commitment to support your financial, career development, health, and life goals. We are eager to fill the position with the right innovative mind.
Rain Bird is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
#mechanicalengineer, #mechanicalengineering, #associateengineer, #industrialengineer, #industrialengineering, #tucsonengineeringjobs, #tucsonengineer, #tucsonjobs, #arizonajobs, #arizonaengineer, #solidworks, #3dcad, #irrigation, #agriculture, #powertools, #design, #plasticsengineer, #workingatrainbird, #jobsatrainbird, #innovation, #RainBirdJobs, #RainBirdCareers, #womenengineers, #swe, #societyofwomenengineers, #nsbe, #nationalsocietyofblackengineers, #hispanicengineers, #cad, #scientificmolding, #mexico, #societyofplasticsengineers, #plasticsengineering, #engel, #toshiba, #arburg, #toolingmanager, #toolingdirector, #injectionmolding, #SPC, #sixsigma, #designformanufacturing, #solidworks, #plasticpart, #toolingdesign, #elastomericmaterials, #elastomeric, #injectionmolded, #tijuana, #nogales, #tucson
Back to top