Sr. Systems Engineer
- Tucson, AZ
As a Sr. System’s Engineer, working in the Early New Product Research team, you will assist with activities including technology research, building leading edge prototypes, leading outsource teams, legal considerations, test approaches for systems and nodes, and a variety of other tasks.
- Collaborate directly and effectively with multiple other teams including hardware, firmware, DEVOPS, cloud software, mobile apps, product marketing, management stakeholders, legal, manufacturing, quality assurance and test automation to assure that product development priorities are completed to schedule and budget, while ensuring quality and product performance requirements are met.
- Responsible for leading and managing select projects in collaboration with stakeholders and/or external vendors. Projects can be related to systems, hardware, firmware, applications or research. Report status and/or progress against the plans and activities to project stakeholders
- Understand entire electronic intellectual product (IP) portfolio, product inter-relationships and maintain working knowledge of all Rain Bird systems. Review project documentation to provide detailed feedback; contribute directly to system improvements
- Participate in sustaining activities for existing products including diagnosis and resolution of defects
- In some cases, gather feedback from cross organizational teams and perform implementation of all automated tests and equipment drivers, which could be written in C, C++, C#, Perl, Python, Java, or other appropriate and cost effective test automation scripting languages.
- In some cases, responsible for writing high-quality, well-documented, and robust code for innovative technology or product prototypes
- In some cases, investigate, track and be resident expert on test automation tools, software stacks, and best practices. Assist in identifying opportunities for more robust DFT requirements.
- Responsible for keeping excellent, organized project records and documentation. Work within existing product development and release processes; but contribute to process improvement through recommendations and experimentation.
- BS in Electrical, Electronic, or Computer Science Engineering, related technical degree or equivalent extensive experience
- Track record of innovative and creative thinking used to create effective solutions for engineering and the customer
- Exposure to full product life cycle from concept to production release
- Evidence of strong architecture design thinking and ability to clearly document designs
- Experience managing using both waterfall and agile methodologies
- Experience managing 3rd party engineering development vendors (any discipline)
- At least 3 years’ hands on, embedded experience using Arduino, Raspberry Pi, Teensy, etc.
- At least 3 years’ hands on, test automation experience.
- Experience with at least one of the following: Java, Java Scripting or Swing
- Experience with at least one of the following: Perl, Python, C, C++, C#.
- Experience with at least one of the following: XML or JSON.
- Experience with multi-tasking or multi-threading with and without RTOS implementations
- Experience in use of advanced development/debugging tools; e.g. C/C++ compilers, ICE, JTAG, logic analyzers, oscilloscopes, etc.
- Excellent communication skills (written and verbal), works effectively with cross-functional teams.
- Proven experience in a team-oriented work environment.
- Self-starter, detail oriented, analytical, problem solver.
- Demonstrated vision and ability to create, design, document and communicate architectures and interoperable systems across device and team boundaries.
- Experience using tools and toolchains, such as IAR, Jira, Jenkins, Perforce, GIT, CI/CD
- Demonstrable understanding of the basics of common Internet, IoT and M2M protocols and methods such TCP, UDP, HTTP, TLS, NAT, MQTT, CoAP
- Experience with relational databases, such as SQL
- Experience with Selenium or Appium a plus.
- Experience with Angular a plus.
- Experience with IoT infrastructure (Amazon, proprietary or other) a plus.
Rain Bird is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Back to top