Sr. Project Engineer (Plastic Component Design)
Responsible for all aspects of mechanical design for new product development, involving conceptualization, production implementation and post-launch support in a cross-functional team environment. Also responsible for product line extension and product improvement projects. Responsible for multiple projects concurrently. Expected to provide technical leadership, project management and occasional supervision of junior engineers, technicians, interns and support staff. Candidate will interact with engineering, marketing, manufacturing, purchasing and management to assure that product development priorities are met, while ensuring quality and product performance.
More specific responsibilities include:
- Develop schedules and budgets, and drive projects to completion meeting project deliverables
- Develop products, and resolve issues through the use of technical tools, CAE, rapid prototyping, environmental testing and technical knowledge
Product development activities include design and development, rigorous design reviews, incorporation of lessons learned from existing products, product verification and field validation, along with coordinating with quality assurance and developing appropriate documentation.
- BS degree in Mechanical Engineering; MS or other advanced degree
- 10+ yrs of product design and project engineering experience, with increasing levels of responsibility
- Excellent theoretical and practical knowledge of mechanical engineering concepts
- Proven design experience of high-quality, low-cost, high-volume products
- Proven success in product development as a member of or leader of a cross-functional team
- Experience in project management, scheduling, and mechanical budget development
- Proficiency in 3D solid modeling CAD software (SolidWorks strongly preferred)
- Experience with SolidWorks simulation software and mold flow simulation software
- Knowledge of Mold Flow analysis and tolerance analysis
- Experience in injection molded plastic component design
- Detailed knowledge of injection molding tool designs and concepts
- Experience with tool makers both domestically and abroad
- In-depth knowledge of plastic material uses and applications
- Willingness to undertake light to moderate travel to other facilities in So. Cal, Tijuana, and in the field as needed
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to work under pressure in a fast paced team environment
- Knowledge of FMEA, DFMEA, PFMEA and other quality improvement techniques
- Experience with product testing techniques such as environmental stress or HALT
- Experience with irrigation products
Rain Bird is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Meet Some of Rain Bird's Employees
Christen works with a team across the west coast—selling irrigation systems to public agencies, landscape architects, and irrigation designers in an effort to grow Rain Bird’s market.
Back to top