The Sr. Lead Software Engineer for our growing mobile application and server team will focus on the continued expansion of cloud services and related technologies to guide us into the future of internet connected irrigation systems. We are looking for an individual who has people management experience and is able to work on a technical or project leadership role at a hands-on level initially. The ideal candidate should be interested in taking on a people management role in the future.
Work with a talented and focused team to provide guidance on new and iterative software development. The candidate is highly self-motivated, will possess a strong knowledge of cloud software technologies and be able to work with marketing to help identify the most appropriate technical approaches and technologies, and drive early conceptual designs and prototypes.
As Sr. Tech Lead Software Engineer your day-to-day activities will include tracking current development tasks internal and external as well as identifying upcoming requests and converting requirements into detailed specifications for implementation. This position requires technical leadership but could evolve into people management.
This role may be located in Tucson, AZ or San Diego, CA, Remote work may be an option for this role.
- Understand the requirements and customer needs for software projects. This includes interfacing with various stakeholders, such as product managers, architects, and management
- Lead the execution of software projects by assigning tasks, tracking and reporting progress, and mentoring senior software developers
- Design and develop virtualized cloud software for the support of consumer connected devices in various home network configurations.
- Lead the implementation and deployment of cloud-based systems utilizing the latest technology.
- Develop business objects to fulfill product requirements and implement Unit Tests to validate the business logic
- Work with the Quality Assurance group to identify and fix defects
- Work with outside vendors for some software components or design work
The successful candidate will demonstrate strong technical abilities with the following qualifications:
- BSCS, BSEE, or equivalent from an accredited university
- 5+ years of technical project leadership experience for software development
- 4+ years of people management experience
- 7+ years of hands-on software engineering experience with native mobile applications for both Android and iOS
- Experience managing development using Agile methodologies
- Excellent communication and team skills
- Demonstrated on-time delivery of commercial software systems
- IoT cloud experience (AWS IoT Core, HiveMQ, etc)
- NoSQL (Aerospike preferred), MySQL
- Full-stack development
- Experience in the irrigation industry
- Experience with Perforce, Git
- NUnit or other Unit Testing experience
- Experience with CI/CD build and deployment pipelines
- Demonstrable understanding of the basics of common Internet, IoT and M2M protocols and methods such as TCP, UDP, HTTP, TLS, NAT, MQTT
- Embedded development
Rain Bird is an Equal Opportunity Employer