Sr. Firmware Engineer - Embedded
Scope of responsibilities will cover architectural design, technical specifications, reusable modular designs, cost-effective engineering designs, code development, testing to robust environments, production implementation and product support in a cross-functional team environment.
- Responsible for all aspects of firmware design and development for new innovative products and features using embedded microprocessors
- Participates in sustaining activities for existing products including diagnosis and resolution of defects
- Will interact with engineering, marketing, management and project leads to assure that product development priorities are completed to schedule and budget, while ensuring quality and product performance requirements are met
- Product development activities include design and development, rigorous design reviews, excellent documentation, incorporation of lessons learned from existing products, product verification, coordination with quality assurance, and field validation
- Responsible for keeping excellent, organized project records and documentation
- Responsible for writing high-quality, well-documented, and robust code
- Must be self-directed and be able to work independently
- Required: BS in Electrical, Electronic, or Computer Science Engineering or related technical degree
- Required: 3+ years of experience with embedded C programming
- Required: 3+ years of prior experience using embedded processors such as Atmel AVR, Microchip PIC, ARM core or similar processors
- Required: Experience with developing “bring-up” code for new circuit boards, and executing “board bring-up”
- Required: Experience in use of advanced development/debugging tools; e.g. C/C++ compilers, ICE, JTAG, logic analyzers, oscilloscopes, etc.
- Required: Experience with multi-tasking or multi-threading with and without RTOS implementations
- Required: Evidence of strong firmware architecture design thinking and ability to clearly document designs
- Required: Experience with full product life cycle from concept to market release
- Required: Track record of innovative and creative thinking used to create effective solutions for both engineering and customer problems
- Required: Excellent English communication (verbal and written) and ability to work both in teams and independently
- Highly Desired: Experience with C++ and Object Oriented Programming
- Preferred: Knowledge of assembly language
- Preferred: Prior experience with Design for Manufacturability and Design for Testability.
- Preferred: Experience with unit test frameworks such as CPPUNIT
- Preferred: Experience using UML modelling techniques and tools
- Preferred: Direct experience designing and implementing digital and analog circuitry
- Preferred: Experience in the irrigation industry
ADDITIONAL QUALIFICATIONS FOR SENIOR LEVEL POSITION:
- Required: 10+ years of experience developing code for resource-constrained microcontroller-based products
- Required: Demonstrated ability to effectively coordinate engineering projects, get buy-in for solutions and efficiently track progress to completion
- Preferred: Experience with successful project and team leadership from a technical perspective
Meet Some of Rain Bird's Employees
Working in the Research and Development Group as a project engineer means Kenny is constantly working to prototype and test innovative ideas for Rain Bird on the new product development-line floor.
Back to top