Senior Tooling Engineer
A leader in global irrigation and innovating The Intelligent Use of Water, Rain Bird has a dynamic opportunity for you to join our global tean.
As a Sr. Tooling Engineer, you will be responsible for the specifications, sourcing and qualification of injection molding tools to support the Agriculture and Landscape Irrigation Business Units. The role includes new product development support as well as tool lifecycle management and cost savings projects.
- Collaborate with Design Engineers, Process Engineers, and Quality Engineers to develop and improve product designs for robust injection molded components
- Responsible for specification and procurement of injection mold tooling required for new product development projects
- Identify, justify and implement quality improvement projects to improve the performance and consistency of injection molded components
- Responsible for coordination of maintenance and repair of injection mold tooling for several high volume product lines
- Identify, justify, and implement cost reduction projects to reduce cost of injection molded components
- Work closely with mold makers and designers to ensure molds will meet Rain Bird mold standards to produce high quality parts
- Demonstrated experience in achieving results in areas of responsibility described above
- BS Degree in an Engineering discipline
- Excellent theoretical and applied knowledge of mechanical engineering concepts
- Working knowledge of plastic and elastomeric materials
- Collaborate with supply management, product design, industrial design, and manufacturing groups on material selection, design feasibility and aesthetics of new plastic part & tooling designs
- Proven track record of developing complex mold tooling for production of high quality, low cost, high volume components
- 8+ years of hands-on experience involving specification, procurement, and qualification of molds for injection molded components
- Proficient with the use of Design for Manufacturing, SPC, DOE and Six Sigma techniques
- Manage tool design, fabrication, process development, and qualification at the supplier
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Proficient in the use of Microsoft Office applications (Work, Excel, Outlook, Project)
- Ability to perform financial analysis and cost justifications
- Well organized, enthusiastic, high energy, strong work ethic
- Travel up to 50% of work schedule
- Proficient in the use of CAD (SolidWorks) and mold flow analysis
- Experience in managing complex development programs with overseas tooling vendors (Asia)
- Supervisory experience
- Willing to travel to the US, Mexico & China to support Rain Bird molds
- Bilingual – English, Spanish, and /or Chinese
Get to know us:
We have been the irrigation industry leader for over 80 years. We craft innovative irrigation products that make beautiful landscapes, golf courses, and grow productive agricultural crops while advocating for the Intelligent Use of Water.
Rain Bird is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Back to top