Senior Tooling Engineer
We are looking for an experienced, action-oriented, hands-on Senior Tooling Engineer to help Rain Bird source complex plastic injection molds. The Senior Tooling Engineer sources molds from some of the best mold makers in the world and directs mold refurbishments from competent shops. He will participate in new product development teams crafting the next new irrigation product for Rain Bird and will find new ways to become more cost competitive.
- Responsible for specification and successful procurement of injection mold tooling required for new product development parts and replacement molds
- Identify, justify and implement quality improvement projects to improve the performance and consistency of injection molded components.
- Responsible for coordination of maintenance and repair of injection mold tooling for several high volume product lines
- Identify, justify, and implement cost reduction projects to reduce cost of injection molded components.
- Develop new tooling constructions technologies that take our company to the next level of performance by reducing cost and increasing quality
- Collaborate with Design Engineers, Process Engineers, and Quality Engineers to develop and improve product designs for robust injection molded components.
- Service oriented, I’ll-figure-it-out, action-oriented attitude
- Demonstrated experience in achieving results in areas of responsibility described above
- BS Degree in an Engineering discipline
- Working knowledge of plastic and elastomeric materials
- Experience collaborating with supply management, product design, industrial design, and manufacturing groups on material selection, design feasibility and aesthetics of new plastic part & tooling designs
- Proven track record of developing complex mold tooling for production of high quality, low cost, high volume components
- 10+ years of hands-on experience involving specification, procurement, and qualification of molds for injection molded components
- Proficient with the use of Design for Manufacturing, SPC, DOE and Six Sigma techniques
- Manage tool design, fabrication, process development, and qualification at the supplier
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Proficient in the use of Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, Outlook, Project)
- Ability to perform financial analysis and cost justifications
- Well organized, enthusiastic, high energy, strong work ethic
- Travel up to 25% of work schedule to Mexico, the US and China.
- Proficient in the use of CAD (SolidWorks) and mold flow analysis
- Experience with PVC processing & molds
- Experience in managing complex development programs with overseas tooling vendors (Asia)
- Supervisory experience
- Willing to travel to the US, Mexico & China to support Rain Bird molds
- Bilingual – English, Spanish, and /or Chinese
Get to know us!
We have been the irrigation industry leader for over 80 years. We craft innovative irrigation products that make beautiful landscapes, golf courses and grow productive agricultural crops while advocating for the Intelligent Use of Water.
Rain Bird is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Back to top