Senior Firmware Engineer - Controls Embedded
A leader in global irrigation and innovating The Intelligent Use of Water, Rain Bird has a dynamic opportunity for you to join our team.
As part of Rain Bird's Controls division, the Senior Firmware Engineer - Controls Embedded will cover architectural design, technical specifications, reusable modular designs, cost-effective engineering designs, code development, testing to robust environments, production implementation and product support in a cross-functional team environment.
Rain Bird's Controls division is a multi-disciplinary engineering and production team. We make irrigation controllers for a variety of applications using creative and innovative state of the art engineering methods. Our diverse group is comprised of self-motivated people who are excited to share their expertise in various engineering specialties, such as Mechanical, Electronics, Firmware, Software, and IOT.
- Responsible for all aspects of firmware design and development for new innovative products and features using embedded microprocessors
- Participate in sustaining activities for existing products including diagnosis and resolution of defects
- Will interact with engineering, marketing, management and project leads to assure that product development priorities are completed to schedule and budget, while ensuring quality and product performance requirements are met
- Your product development activities include design and development, rigorous design reviews, excellent documentation, incorporation of lessons learned from existing products, product verification, coordination with quality assurance, and field validation
- Responsible for keeping excellent, organized project records and documentation
- Responsible for writing high-quality, well-documented, and robust code
- Must be self-directed and be able to work independently
- Coordinate with Quality Assurance to develop appropriate documentation
- Required: BS in Electrical, Electronic, or Computer Science Engineering, related technical degree or equivalent experience
- Required: 7+ years of experience with embedded C programming
- Required: 3+ years of prior experience using embedded processors such as Atmel AVR, Microchip PIC, ARM core or similar processors
- Required: Experience with developing “bring-up” code for new circuit boards, and executing “board bring-up”
- Required: Experience in use of advanced development/debugging tools; e.g. C/C++ compilers, ICE, JTAG, logic analyzers, oscilloscopes, etc.
- Required: Experience with multi-tasking or multi-threading with and without RTOS implementations
- Required: Evidence of strong firmware architecture design thinking and ability to clearly document designs
- Required: Experience with full product life cycle from concept to market release
- Required: Track record of innovative and creative thinking used to create effective solutions for both engineering and customer problems
- Required: Excellent English communication (verbal and written) and ability to work both in teams and independently
- Highly Desired: Experience with C++ and Object Oriented Programming
- Preferred: Knowledge of assembly language (to analyze compiler output and ISR critical timing)
- Preferred: Prior experience with Design for Manufacturability and Design for Testability
- Preferred: Experience with unit test frameworks such as CPPUNIT
- Preferred: Experience using UML modelling techniques and tools
- Preferred: Direct experience designing and implementing digital and analog circuitry
- Preferred: Experience in the irrigation industry
ADDITIONAL QUALIFICATIONS FOR SENIOR LEVEL POSITION:
- Required: 10+ years of experience developing code for resource-constrained microcontroller-based products
- Required: Demonstrated ability to effectively coordinate engineering projects, get buy-in for solutions and efficiently track progress to completion
- Preferred: Experience with successful project and team leadership from a technical perspective
Get to know us:
We have been the irrigation industry leader for over 80 years. We craft innovative irrigation products that make beautiful landscapes, golf courses, and grow productive agricultural crops while advocating for the Intelligent Use of Water.
An example of our amazing products is the ESP-TM2 Controller, which was released in the Spring of 2017. This controller is quickly gaining market share and our customers are telling us that the easy-to-use app and Wi-Fi functionality is exceeding expectations since it ensures customers can control their watering systems from anywhere. As a team, we are continuously working on several controller projects for both large and small-scale irrigation systems.
Rain Bird is and Equal Opportunity Employer
Back to top