The purpose of program management is to ensure the company achieves its strategic plan. Program Management understands the organizational strategy and how projects are the building blocks to implement the strategy. Program managers thoroughly understand the interdependency between the projects and are able to communicate the overall vision. Programs may fit within one strategic business unit (SBU) or may address cross-SBU needs. Typical programs will be in the area of critically important new product development (NPD), but they may also target a cost reduction or quality improvement of a complex nature where, for example, a significant new technology platform must be brought into the company. The Program Manager is also expected to improve Rain Bird NPD and other assigned business processes, assuring Rain Bird takes advantage of best industry practices in these areas.
- Ensure targets are set and scope of work is defined and agreed for assigned programs. Together with functional leads, this includes driving schedules, cost, and product performance targets. The overriding priority is to maintain the target schedule.
- Ensure technical and market risks are clearly articulated on an ongoing basis and that appropriate contingency plans are in place. Lead any necessary course corrections when things do not go as planned on projects.
- Coordinate functional leaders, ensuring clear objectives for all involved, strong collaboration and effective follow-ups.
- Communicates concise status reports in an open and plain-spoken manner. The reports use facts and evidence, with a preference for statistically rigorous analysis.
- Follow best practice project management methodologies; maintain critical path schedule, budget, risk plans and team communication tools.
- Maintain an independent, objective view on project status and work. Balance the role of project champion versus critical business owner.
- Question conventional wisdom and be willing and able to speak to authority with poise and organized thoughts.
- Anticipates resource needs, independently of assessments made by internal departments.
- Be comfortable spending time in Mexico plants, and traveling to other Rain Bird facilities.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited university in a mechanical or electromechanical engineering.
- Program Management Professional certificate or equivalent direct experience in Program Management showing at least 5 years’ industrial experience in Program Management with a company or companies having several hundred employees in high-volume consumer goods.
- Demonstrated experience with complex programs spanning research, marketing, engineering, and manufacturing. Demonstrated experience with programs across geographies in the USA, and preferably, across countries is a bonus.
- Excellent interpersonal skills in the areas of communication, people management, motivation, influence, and negotiation.
- Ability to drive alignment, especially between Marketing, Engineering, and Manufacturing functions to match customer requirements with technical specifications.
- Analytical and objective; can deliver difficult messages proactively if plans go off-track. Tenacious in subsequently getting projects and programs back on track.
- Drive for results and a demonstrated track record of success with new product development
- High energy with an enthusiastic attitude, a desire for continued learning, and a willingness to take on difficult challenges in a variety of business areas
- Previous experience in the irrigation industry
- Graduate degree in a technical discipline
- Fluency in Spanish
Rain Bird is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
#RainBirdJobs, #RainBirdCareers, #WorkingatRainBird, #engineering, #electricalengineer, #mechanicalengineer, #mechanicalengineering, #associateengineer, #industrialengineer, #industrialengineering, #tucsonengineeringjobs, #Californiaengineer, #californiajobs, #arizonajobs, #arizonaengineer, #solidworks, #3dcad, #irrigation, #agriculture, #powertools, #design, #plasticsengineer, #workingatrainbird, #jobsatrainbird, #innovation, #RainBirdJobs, #RainBirdCareers, #womenengineers, #swe, #societyofwomenengineers, #nsbe, #nationalsocietyofblackengineers, #hispanicengineers, #cad, #scientificmolding, #mexico, #societyofplasticsengineers, #plasticsengineering, #engel, #toshiba, #arburg, #toolingmanager, #toolingdirector, #injectionmolding, #SPC, #sixsigma, #designformanufacturing, #solidworks, #plasticpart, #toolingdesign, #elastomericmaterials, #elastomeric, #injectionmolded, #programmanager, #projectmanager
Meet Some of Rain Bird's Employees
Working in the Research and Development Group as a project engineer means Kenny is constantly working to prototype and test innovative ideas for Rain Bird on the new product development-line floor.
Back to top