Program Manager Electronics/Mechanical
- Tucson, AZ
The primary role of the Program Manager is to plan and lead programs that support strategic objectives of major importance to Rain Bird. These programs may fit within one strategic business unit (SBU) or may address cross-SBU needs. Typical programs will be in the area of critically important new product development (NPD), but they may also target a cost reduction or quality improvement of a complex nature where, for example, a significant new technology platform must be brought into the company. The Program Manager will be a key partner in developing SBU strategies, product roadmaps, and new product prioritization efforts. The Program Manager is also expected to improve IPDMS and other assigned business processes, assuring Rain Bird takes advantage of best industry practices in these areas.
The successful candidate will:
- Ensure targets are set and scope of work is defined and agreed for assigned programs. In the case of NPD initiatives this includes setting clear schedule, cost and product performance targets. It also includes adhering to these targets with an overriding priority on the target schedule.
- Provide technical assessment and recommendations concerning the feasibility of new product programs.
- Ensure technical and market risks are clearly articulated on an ongoing basis and that appropriate contingency plans are in place. Lead any necessary course corrections when things do not go as planned on projects.
- Deliver clear, concise and timely oral and written communications to all stakeholders. Be a single point of contact for project status at all times.
- Lead core team work ensuring clear objectives for all involved, strong collaboration and effective follow-ups.
- Follow best practice project management methodologies; maintain critical path schedule, budget, risk plans and team communication tools.
- Maintain an independent, objective view on project status and work. Balance the role of project champion v. critical business owner.
- Identify project staffing, resource, timing and financial conflicts and resolve through collaboration with functional leaders to address gaps.
- Be comfortable spending time in Mexico plants, and traveling to other Rain Bird facilities
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited university in business or a technical field
- PMP certification or equivalent certification or work experience in program management
- Excellent interpersonal skills in the areas of communication, people management, motivation, influence, and negotiation.
- Ability to drive alignment, especially between Marketing and Engineering functions to match customer requirements to target technical specifications.
- Analytical and objective; can deliver difficult messages proactively if plans go off-track. Tenacious in subsequently getting projects and programs back on track.
- Drive for results and a demonstrated track record of success with new product development
- High energy with an enthusiastic attitude, a desire for continued learning, and a willingness to take on difficult challenges in a variety of business areas
- Previous experience in the irrigation industry
- Graduate degree in business or a technical discipline
- Fluency in Spanish
Rain Bird is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Back to top