The purpose of program management is to ensure programs stay on schedule with quality meeting expectations The successful program manager can see gaps in the future of a program that will throw it off schedule and is tenacious in marshalling the company’s resources to close those gaps. An effective program manager speaks and writes plainly and concisely to deliver bad news quickly.
A hallmark of a good program manager is the ability to work across business units and business functions to form professional relationships with all stakeholders in a program. Typical programs will be new product development (NPD), cost reduction or quality improvement of a complex nature (where, for example, a significant new technology platform must be brought into the company) or when multiple business units/customer types are needed.
The Program Manager is also expected to improve Rain Bird NPD and other assigned business processes, assuring Rain Bird takes advantage of best industry practices in these areas.
- Maintain an independent, objective view on project status and work. Balance the role of project champion versus critical business owner.
- Publish the program’s critical path, risks, team charter, Responsible/Accountable/Consulted /Informed (RACI) matrix, training matrix, and overall program plan.
- Question conventional wisdom and be willing and able to speak to authority with poise and organized thoughts.
- Ensure goals and key milestones are approved across business units and functions. The overriding priority is to maintain the target schedule.
- Ensure program risks are clearly articulated on an ongoing basis and that appropriate contingency plans are in place. Lead any necessary course corrections when things do not go as planned on projects.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited university in electromechanical engineering, chemical engineering, polymer science, or agricultural.
- Program Management Professional certificate or at least 5 years’ industrial experience in Program Management with a company having several hundred employees in high-volume consumer goods.
- Demonstrated experience with complex programs spanning research, marketing, engineering, and manufacturing.
- Excellent interpersonal skills in communication, people management, motivation, influence, and negotiation.
- Ability to drive alignment, especially between Marketing, Engineering, and Manufacturing functions to match customer requirements with technical specifications.
- Analytical and objective; can deliver difficult messages proactively if plans go off-track. Drive for results and a demonstrated track record of success with new product development
- High energy with an enthusiastic attitude, a desire for continued learning, and a willingness to take on difficult challenges in a variety of business areas
- Previous experience in the irrigation industry
- Graduate degree in a technical discipline
- Fluency in Spanish
Rain Bird is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Back to top