Embedded Firmware Engineer/Lead
This position is the primary contact point for supporting a set of released products to support Rain Bird’s Commercial business unit. We are looking for a high caliber professional that has in-depth firmware development experience to solve simple and complex customer issues then deliver product improvements with high quality while acting as a project manager for all his or her own assigned projects. The right candidate will be customer focused with excellent communication skills with internal and external customers.
- Responsible for supporting the firmware (embedded software) on a set of inter-related existing mature products and accessories.
- Responsible for (owner of) managing and implement all aspects of firmware feature development, bug fixes and risk management on this product range.
- Scope of responsibilities will cover architectural design, technical specifications, reusable modular designs, cost-effective engineering designs, code development, testing to robust environments, production implementation and product support in a cross-functional team environment.
- Candidate will interact with engineering, marketing, management, project leads and the QA department to assure that product development priorities are completed to schedule and budget, while ensuring quality and product performance requirements are met.
- Product development activities include design and development, design reviews, engineering verification and managing field validation along with coordinating with quality assurance and developing appropriate documentation.
- Responsible for keeping excellent, organized project records and documentation
- Responsible for writing high-quality, well-documented, bug-free code
- Responsible for communicating with internal customers, negotiating specification updates as appropriate and holding prioritization and review meetings as necessary
- Must be self-directed and be able to work within scope with a minimum amount of supervision.
- Communicate efficiently with firmware team when co-ordination or knowledge transfer is required.
- Some travel is expected. Within US approx. 4-8 times per year, outside US 0-2 times per year.
- BS in Electrical, Electronic or Computer Engineering or other related technical degree.
- Evidence of innovative and creative thinking used to create effective solutions to both engineering and customer problems.
- Excellent English communication (verbal and written), ability to work in both teams and independently.
- Demonstrated ability to articulate problems and solutions with both engineering colleagues and non-technical groups such as product marketing and senior management. Able to communicate effectively while managing expectations, promoting a positive attitude and understanding the differing needs of personalities in a breath of roles across the globe.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively coordinate small engineering projects, get buy-in for solutions and efficiently track progress to completion.
- History of increasing responsibilities with proven track record of achieving good results
- 5+ years of prior experience using embedded processors such as Atmel AVR, FreeScale, Microchip PIC, 8051, and similar 8-bit processors.
- Experience with multi-tasking and multi-processor communication using microprocessors with and without RTOS implementations
- Experience in use of advanced development/debugging tools; e.g. C compilers, ICE, JTAG, logic analyzers, oscilloscopes, etc.
- Direct experience designing and implementing digital and analog circuitry
- Experience in the irrigation industry
- 1-5 years of prior experience using embedded 32-bit Cortex ARM cores such as M0, M4.
Rain Bird is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Meet Some of Rain Bird's Employees
Working in the Research and Development Group as a project engineer means Kenny is constantly working to prototype and test innovative ideas for Rain Bird on the new product development-line floor.
Back to top