Staff Product Designer, Core Product - SF, Denver or NYC
- San Francisco, CA
Inspired by our belief that anyone can learn anything and powered by our own curiosity, we build the smartest tools we can imagine to help students learn.
Quizlet is the popular, global learning platform and app that millions of students, teachers and everyday people use to study any subject imaginable for school, work or as part of their personal interests -- including two-thirds of high school students and half of all college students in the US. Combining cognitive science and machine learning, Quizlet guides students through adaptive study activities to confidently reach their learning goals. We’re on track to become the undisputed leader in user-generated learning content and engagement, at the scale of YouTube.
Valued at $1 billion, Quizlet has raised over $60 million in venture capital from investors including Icon Ventures, Union Square Ventures, General Atlantic, Costanoa Ventures, Owl Ventures, and Altos Ventures.
To serve our global community of learners, our teams tackle lofty technical challenges and design for use cases across cultures and languages. We work hard, act like owners, and collaborate every chance we get. We’re energized by the potential to power more learners through multiple approaches and various tools.
With offices in major cities around the world and ambitious plans for expansion, we remain grounded in our commitment to our mission of helping people learn. We’re looking for new team members who crave a challenge and want to help us continue amplifying our impact. If you’d like to learn more, visit our careers page!
About the Team:
The Design team at Quizlet is passionate about creating high-quality experiences that help people learn, study, and achieve their goals.
Our team includes product designers, brand designers, and user researchers. The product designers are organized into two groups: the Growth group and the Core Product group. Working from a shared set of values, principles, and design systems helps keep our product experiences cohesive across the entire team.
About the Role:
This particular role is for the Core Product group, with a specific focus on Quizlet's Learning Assistant. People already love Quizlet’s powerful study tools that help them practice and master whatever they are learning. With the new Learning Assistant, Quizlet can now provide a smarter and more personalized experience to help our learners be confident that they are studying in the most effective and efficient way to achieve their goals.
As a Staff Product Designer, you will be the senior-most lead designer for the Learning Assistant group and be responsible for the strategic and creative output of this major product area. You'll will be involved in every step of the design process, including research, ideation, mapping user flows, creating mockups and designing high-fidelity UIs across our website and native apps. You'll also mentor junior designers also working in your product group.
In this role, you will:
- Own major, 0-1 design initiatives end-to-end
- Work to design experiences that are useful, usable, and delightful
- Leverage quantitative and qualitative insights to inform your designs, rapidly iterate, and optimize experiences
- Partner closely with other design leads, as well as product management and engineering leads to solve problems and execute on the plan
- Constantly push yourself and the team to raise the design bar at Quizlet through a culture of feedback and open communication
What you bring to the table:
- 5-8+ years of experience designing rich, interactive web and native applications
- Experience and comfort owning projects from inception to completion
- Very effective UI, IxD, and visual design skills and processes
- Strong, proactive hustle
- A humble attitude and a growth mindset
- Very effective communication skills (oral, written, and visual)
- Experience working closely with product management and engineering teams
- Excitement about the impact your work could have on the lives of students around the world
Bonus points if you have:
- Proficiency in motion design and animation
Benefits & Perks:
- Collaborate with your manager and team to create a schedule that ensures a high level of productivity (creating that ideal work/life balance)
- We offer 20 days of paid vacation (and we expect you to take them)
- We provide a monthly in home office stipend to employees while our teams are working remote for the COVID pandemic
- We’ll provide you with a laptop, top-notch benefits available to all fulltime Quizleters
We strive to make everyone feel comfortable and welcome!
We work to create a holistic interview process, where both Quizlet and candidates have an opportunity to view what it would be like to work together, in exploring a mutually beneficial partnership.
We provide a transparent setting, that gives a comprehensive view of who we are!
We hope you are excited about everything you read so far. We highly encourage you to apply for this position, even if you feel you do not meet all the requirements. Quizlet is always looking for amazing folks that believe in our mission and can contribute to our team in various ways - not merely candidates that fit a certain mold.
We have a bias for action, take initiative, and hustle to deliver results. We make informed decisions whenever possible but are unafraid to take calculated risks on great ideas to promote learning. We embrace challenges and see effort as the path to mastery. We’re constantly seeking opportunities to learn and we embrace curiosity. Quality matters at Quizlet, and we hold the bar high on everything we do.
We treat each other with honesty and respect, encourage vigorous debate, and seek critical feedback. We value diversity, humility, transparency, and collaboration as the best paths to our success — as individuals, as a team, and as a company.
Quizlet’s success as an online learning community depends on a strong commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion. We are actively working to build a team that is representative of the diverse communities we serve, and an open, inclusive work environment where all employees can thrive. As an equal opportunity employer and a tech company committed to societal change, we welcome applicants from all backgrounds. Women, people of color, members of the LGBTQ+ community, individuals with disabilities, and veterans are strongly encouraged to apply. Come join us!
To All Recruiters and Placement Agencies:
At this time Quizlet does not accept unsolicited agency resumes and/or profiles.
Please do not forward unsolicited agency resumes to our website or to any Quizlet employee. Quizlet will not pay fees to any third-party agency or firm nor will it be responsible for any agency fees associated with unsolicited resumes. All unsolicited resumes received will be considered the property of Quizlet.
Back to top