Inspired by our belief that anyone can learn anything and powered by our own curiosity, we build the smartest tools we can imagine to help students learn.
Quizlet is the popular, global learning platform and app that millions of students, teachers and everyday people use to study any subject imaginable for school, work or as part of their personal interests -- including two-thirds of high school students and half of all college students in the US. Combining cognitive science and machine learning, Quizlet guides students through adaptive study activities to confidently reach their learning goals. We’re on track to become the undisputed leader in user-generated learning content and engagement, at the scale of YouTube.
Valued at $1 billion, Quizlet has raised over $60 million in venture capital from investors including Icon Ventures, Union Square Ventures, General Atlantic, Costanoa Ventures, Owl Ventures, and Altos Ventures.
To serve our global community of learners, our teams tackle lofty technical challenges and design for use cases across cultures and languages. We work hard, act like owners, and collaborate every chance we get. We’re energized by the potential to power more learners through multiple approaches and various tools.
With offices in major cities around the world and ambitious plans for expansion, we remain grounded in our commitment to our mission of helping people learn. We’re looking for new team members who crave a challenge and want to help us continue amplifying our impact.
The Production Engineering Team
- The Production Engineering Team at Quizlet comprises Site Reliability and Data Platform
- We tackle longer term projects on the scale of quarters or more
- We use agile methodologies, working in sprints, doing brief daily standups, retrospecting on our work
- We're passionate about quality at scale, performance engineering, high availability, robust distributed architecture, and clean code
- We work with a variety of programming languages and data platforms to create the right technological solution for each project
- As part of the Production Engineering Team you will work with various technologies and contribute to the creation of products that help millions of students learn, all across the globe, including:
→ our streaming data platform, speeding ML and quantitative information to our users and analysts
→ our application data stores, which must be performant under tremendous seasonal load
→ our analysis pipelines, getting data to the heart of the business
Are you passionate about creatively applying your deep understanding of Python / JVM languages, internet-scale distributed systems, data platforms, and machine learning technologies? The Data Engineering team is seeking an excellent software engineer to help us innovate continuously on the ways data flows through our systems, our transformations into business intelligence, and back to learners.
What you bring to the table:
- Minimum of 5+ years experience designing, implementing, and supporting highly scalable data platforms and pipelines
- Excellent Python / Kotlin / Go development and debugging skills
- Proficient in Event-driven architecture and messaging frameworks (Pub/Sub, Kafka, and/or RabbitMQ)
- Proficient in designing, building, and maintaining large-scale, high-performance systems and frameworks
- Proficient in various data stores: SQL, NoSQL, and/or key-value store
- Proficiency with containers, Kubernetes, Terraform highly preferred
- Knowledge and experience building applied ML based applications highly preferred
- Ability to wear multiple hats!
Compensation, Benefits & Perks:
- Colorado candidates: Base pay for this role starts at $124,000. The actual pay may be higher depending on your skills, qualifications, and experience
- Employees are also eligible to participate in the Quizlet stock option program
- Collaborate with your manager and team to create a schedule that ensures a high level of productivity (creating that ideal work/life balance)
- We offer 20 days of paid vacation (and we expect you to take them!)
- Comprehensive health coverage (Anthem, Kaiser), HSA, FSA, dental and vision (Guardian), competitive salary, 401(k), and equity
- Other perks include: Wellness stipend, pet insurance offerings, annual learning and development stipend, commuter subsidy, and 40 hours of annual paid time off to participate in volunteer programs of choice
- In addition, we offer access to mental health resources, fertility education, fertility preservation, IVF, genetic testing, surrogacy, adoption, and more
We strive to make everyone feel comfortable and welcome!
We work to create a holistic interview process, where both Quizlet and candidates have an opportunity to view what it would be like to work together, in exploring a mutually beneficial partnership.
We provide a transparent setting, that gives a comprehensive view of who we are!
We hope you are excited about everything you read so far. We highly encourage you to apply for this position, even if you feel you do not meet all the requirements. Quizlet is always looking for amazing folks that believe in our mission and can contribute to our team in various ways - not merely candidates that fit a certain mold.
We have a bias for action, take initiative, and hustle to deliver results. We make informed decisions whenever possible but are unafraid to take calculated risks on great ideas to promote learning. We embrace challenges and see effort as the path to mastery. We’re constantly seeking opportunities to learn and we embrace curiosity. Quality matters at Quizlet, and we hold the bar high on everything we do.
We treat each other with honesty and respect, encourage vigorous debate, and seek critical feedback. We value diversity, humility, transparency, and collaboration as the best paths to our success — as individuals, as a team, and as a company.
Quizlet’s success as an online learning community depends on a strong commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion. We are actively working to build a team that is representative of the diverse communities we serve, and an open, inclusive work environment where all employees can thrive. As an equal opportunity employer and a tech company committed to societal change, we welcome applicants from all backgrounds. Women, people of color, members of the LGBTQ+ community, individuals with disabilities, and veterans are strongly encouraged to apply. Come join us!
To All Recruiters and Placement Agencies:
At this time Quizlet does not accept unsolicited agency resumes and/or profiles.
Please do not forward unsolicited agency resumes to our website or to any Quizlet employee. Quizlet will not pay fees to any third-party agency or firm nor will it be responsible for any agency fees associated with unsolicited resumes. All unsolicited resumes received will be considered the property of Quizlet.