Senior Data Scientist
Senior Data Scientist
Quizlet is looking for an experienced, technically proficient, and highly entrepreneurial individual to work with our product and engineering teams and develop actionable, data-driven insights to support our user experience, product quality, and revenue growth efforts. We’re backed by Union Square Ventures, Costanoa Venture Capital, Altos Ventures and Owl Ventures. Our business model is strong and got us to profitability before raising venture capital money.
We’re a small team making a huge impact, running one of the fastest growing and highest quality consumer brands in education. We’re developing innovative, simple-to-use study tools that help tens of millions of students learn (over 30M users a month visit our website and mobile apps).
We have a LOT of data - study activity, performance, clickstream, demographic, subscriber data…you name it. We've logged over 30 billion answers, 8 billion flashcards, and 20 billion study sessions. We have huge opportunities to leverage this data to improve engagement (active user growth), product quality (existing and new features), educational effectiveness (how users learn), and also grow our paid subscriber base.
In this very hands-on role, you’ll make this happen at both a conceptual and execution level. You’ll be an early member of the data team at a brand that’s already well on its way to serving a billion students and teachers across the globe.
- Drive greenfield research in learning science, specifically knowledge acquisition and retention
- Identify and programmatically extract content taxonomies from our study material
- Stay up to date on cognitive science, psychometrics, and machine learning literature and evangelize methods to the company
- Contribute to our open source machine learning framework
- Build growth and revenue forecasting models
- Present at conferences, publish blog posts, and write papers to collaborate with others tackling the same problems
Qualifications and Experience
- Computationally intensive Masters or Ph.D. preferred, 5+ years of experience in industry as a data scientist otherwise
- A practical mindset and excitement to work on knowledge acquisition, retention, and educational engagement projects
- Prior industry experience working with data on large internet (ideally consumer) businesses
- A solid academic understanding of statistics and machine learning
- Self-motivated and proactive: demonstrated ability to prioritize, execute and follow through on key projects and tasks
- Strong communication skills: able to distill complexity and communicate insights clearly
- Strong technical skills, including SQL and Python. Familiarity with libraries like sklearn, gensim, TensorFlow, and Jupyter development flows are desirable.
- You know what it means to work in a small company where every person is doing big, meaningful things - and you want to do this!
- Passion for education and/or doing good in the world - you’re excited about the impact your work could have on the lives of students and teachers every day.
Quizlet’s Team Culture
We’re extremely proud of the powerful impact our study tools are having on people’s lives across the U.S. and the world. Our focus on quality, usability, and performance across all platforms has helped Quizlet grow organically to a top U.S. web brand with top education apps on iOS and Android. We regularly visit classrooms across the Bay Area to see Quizlet’s users in action. We believe in teamwork and communication, and we believe in each other — every member has the confidence and flexibility to take a stab at new problems across functions. We love technology and we love helping people. Come join us!
Meet Some of Quizlet's Employees
Founder & CTO
What gets me excited about Quizlet's future is the massive educational impact we can have on the millions of students around the world.
Back to top