Fullstack Engineer, Study- SF, CA
- San Francisco, CA
Help us build the AI-powered tutor that helps anyone learn anything.
Inspired by our belief that anyone can learn anything and powered by our own curiosity, we build the smartest tools we can imagine to help students learn. Quizlet is a personalized learning platform allowing students to create study questions, activities, and games or to access study sets created by teachers and other learners. Two-thirds of U.S. high school students and half of all college students the 1.5 billion students around the world already use Quizlet with over 50 million students studying with us each month, 2 million more sign up each month, and we’re on track to become the undisputed leader in user-generated learning content, at the scale of YouTube. We're currently among the top 20 U.S. websites and top education apps for iOS and Android.
Now we’re building an AI-powered tutor that adapts and improves the more you use it. To serve our global community of learners, our teams tackle lofty technical challenges and design for use cases across cultures and languages. We work hard, act like owners, and collaborate every chance we get. We’re energized by the potential to power more learners and by the new lessons, we learn every day.
We’re a fast-growing financially stable Series C startup, valued at $1 Billion and backed by Union Square Ventures, Costanoa Venture Capital, Icon Ventures, Owl Ventures, Altos Ventures and General Atlantic. With offices in major cities around the world and ambitious plans for expansion, we remain grounded in our commitment to our mission of learning. We’re looking for new team members who crave a challenge and want to help us continue amplifying our impact. If you’d like to learn more, reach out at firstname.lastname@example.org or visit our careers page .
Check Out The Blog!
About the team:
The study tools team is focused on getting the core Quizlet experience a grade of A+. We strive to be intimately familiar with the ins and outs of our product, and more importantly how our learners use it. We own the main study mode experiences and strive to make them effective at helping everyone master whatever topics they are learning. We own the main navigation and are working to make it easy to navigate to and from study materials as well as organize the content learners are working on. We own the discovery experience, and are actively working to bring people to the content most relevant to them through recommendations and search.
We are a cross functional team of web engineers working closely with members from Product, Design, Data Science, Data Analytics, Product Support, and Marketing, to improve and develop core Quizlet experiences. We also work closely with user research to understand how people use our product and what’s getting in their way to practice and master whatever they are learning.
About the role:
- Loves to dive deep into understanding and empathizing with the users they are building for. We want to solve learners' actual real world problems and to do that we need a deep understanding of them.
- Has a passion for quality and is excited to be responsible for software that 60M users use on a monthly basis.
- Strives to build out the interface and interactions that help our users learn, but also willing to take on challenges of scale and build out API’s that make core Quizlet work.
A breakdown of the average day for this role:
- Our team works in two week sprints, with kickoffs at the beginning, daily stand-ups throughout, and a retro at the end to ensure our process is working for us (and not the other way around!). Our core mission is learning, and we value that as a team, so you'll work with your manager to identify the skills you want to develop and make sure you're able to build them.
- Working with PM/design/data/marketing to identify which problems we should tackle to make Quizlet even better at enabling learners to study effectively.
- Formulating engineering plans around possible solutions, focusing on validating user delight early with A/B testing and working with the rest of the web engineers to estimate realistic milestones.
- Code reviewing team PRs and sharing your own so that other team engineers have visibility into what we're building and how we've designed it.
- Plenty of heads down time to execute on the team plan - we have no meeting Wednesdays and work to make sure interruptions are few and far between
- Planning for and implementing improvements to the way we do things on the web, as part of wider platform investments we commit to as an engineering organization.
What you bring to the table:
- 2+ years of experience building rich, interactive web applications
- Passion for understanding user behavior and building beautiful user experiences
- Experience working on large-scale consumer websites, with attention to scalability and performance concerns
- Experience working with server-side MVC web frameworks and REST APIs
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Enjoy collaborating in a cross-platform and cross-disciplinary team
- Experience writing unit tests and testable code
- Excitement about the impact your work could have on the lives of students and teachers every day
Bonus points if:
- You teach, tutor, or mentor others at or outside work
- You have experience leading projects from inception to completion
Benefits and perks:
-Collaborate with your manager and team to create a schedule that ensures a high level of productivity (creating that ideal work/life balance)
-We offer 20 days of paid vacation (and we expect you to take them)
-We provide a monthly in home office stipend to employees while our teams are working remote for the COVID pandemic
-We’ll provide you with a laptop, top-notch benefits available to all fulltime Quizleters
Curious about our interview process?
-Meet with Recruiter
-Meet with Hiring Manager
-Meet with Potential Colleagues and Leadership
We strive to make everyone feel comfortable and welcome!
We work to create a holistic interview process, where both Quizlet and candidates have an opportunity to view what it would be like to work together, in exploring a mutually beneficial partnership.
We provide a transparent setting, that gives a comprehensive view of who we are!
We hope you are excited about everything you read so far. We highly encourage you to apply for this position, even if you feel you do not meet all the requirements. Quizlet is always looking for amazing folks that believe in our mission and can contribute to our team in various ways - not merely candidates that fit a certain mold.
We have a bias for action, take initiative, and hustle to deliver results. We make informed decisions whenever possible but are unafraid to take calculated risks on great ideas to promote learning. We embrace challenges and see effort as the path to mastery. We’re constantly seeking opportunities to learn and we embrace curiosity. Quality matters at Quizlet, and we hold the bar high on everything we do.
We treat each other with honesty and respect, encourage vigorous debate, and seek critical feedback. We value diversity, humility, transparency, and collaboration as the best paths to our success — as individuals, as a team, and as a company.
Quizlet’s success as an online learning community depends on a strong commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion. We are actively working to build a team that is representative of the diverse communities we serve, and an open, inclusive work environment where all employees can thrive. As an equal opportunity employer and a tech company committed to societal change, we welcome applicants from all backgrounds. Women, people of color, members of the LGBTQ+ community, individuals with disabilities, and veterans are strongly encouraged to apply. Come join us!
To All Recruiters and Placement Agencies:
At this time Quizlet does not accept unsolicited agency resumes and/or profiles.
Please do not forward unsolicited agency resumes to our website or to any Quizlet employee. Quizlet will not pay fees to any third-party agency or firm nor will it be responsible for any agency fees associated with unsolicited resumes. All unsolicited resumes received will be considered the property of Quizlet.
Back to top