Systems Validation & Testing Lead
The Systems Validation and Testing (SVT) Lead serves in a leadership role within the SVT department providing daily oversight, mentorship and direction to test analysts from a task, project, development and training perspective. This position is more operational and involves more one-on-one mentoring than the Associate Director position thus requiring less supervisory experience and less strategic planning. The position has both managerial and technical leadership responsibilities. Managerial leadership responsibilities include direct staff supervision, validation and compliance consulting, and project delivery responsibilities. Technical leadership responsibilities revolve around the provision of advanced, technical testing domain knowledge and practices such as integration of SLC toolsets and functional testing automation. The SVT lead is highly competent in and able to manage validation and testing aspects of in-house developed, acquired, configured and composite, complex application projects with little direct supervision required.
- Serves as a primary point of contact and source of accountability for validation and/or testing activities for projects. May have primary accountability for team performance on projects including all SVT-related project deliverables, activities and timelines. May have primary accountability for technical testing deliverables such as automated functional test suites or project testing strategy documents. Ensures that deliverables are completed on time and in adherence with SOP’s. Conducts the appropriate follow-up when necessary. Manages the resources and timelines of assigned projects and tasks.
- Acts in a supporting leadership role to ensure staff operationalize the SVT strategic initiative to build, grow and maintain a library of modular, reusable testing and validation assets for platforms and applications.
- Defines or helps define testing strategies for the overall department as well as for projects and systems.
- Ensures creation of test data to support test case execution and supports creation and maintenance of libraries of reusable test data sets.
- Coordinate, or as necessary, design, write and execute tests to prove systems functionality, verify business and user requirements are met and that systems will operate as expected in the production environment.
- Performs internal peer reviews of test cases produced by SVT team prior to and following execution as required to ensure issues/errors with the test scripts are identified and resolved.
- Leverages automated testing tools for test planning and management, test case authoring, test case execution and issue/defect tracking.
- Propose, support and assist in implementation of methods to assess quality and efficiency of work performed by team, including metrics, internal process improvement, Work Instructions and Standard Operating Procedures
- Provide input as required to construct budgets as required and control expenditure to achieve financial objectives
- Review requirements and provide input to help develop high quality and detailed requirements and ensure traceability and that user needs are met.
- Review the design specification and other technical documents to a high standard to enable the discussion of the specification with the user community.
- Support and assist in the implementation of internal, external and off the shelf business applications with all IT and business groups via the Performance Qualification (PQ) or UAT.
- Provide significant input to support creation and agreement of project scope, work breakdown structure (wbs) and schedule, including appropriate milestones and performance measures with sponsor and stakeholders.
- Maintain knowledge of the IT industry, analyze the abilities of tools and technologies and compare with the needs of the business, recommend potential solutions to managers within the business
- Manage staff in accordance with organization’s policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance and guiding professional development; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing employee relations issues and resolving problems. Approves actions for human resource matters. May also be responsible for managing contract staff and other non-employee team members.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Possess a solid understanding of clinical drug development process highly preferable.
- Possess fine-tuned analytical skills and be very detail oriented.
- Excellent oral/written interpersonal skills; user focused; persuasive, yet patient; work well with team members.
- Some team leadership/supervisory skills desirable. Experience leading teams with or without direct reporting responsibilities strongly preferred.
- Solid working knowledge of test management and automated test authoring/execution tools.
- Expert knowledge/skills around test case creation and test execution; ability to create and execute test cases as part of broader testing strategy. Test case creation and execution would be for large complex systems interfacing with other products. Ability to author and execute test cases as well as remaining involved in formulating test strategies, overseeing test plan/test case authoring and execution assignments/progress reporting, and supervising staff.
- Possess thorough knowledge of software quality engineering activities, including project management, user requirements, functional and detail specifications.
- Solid understanding of the requirements elicitation, analysis, and specification process. Expertise in review of requirements specifications for testability, in design review and in testing strategy reviews. Ability to lead testing strategy review sessions.
- Detailed knowledge, use and understanding of the CSV and SLC processes adopted by Quintiles; and the ability to mentor and ensure staff are trained on and following these processes. Able to train non-SVT staff on SLC and CSV.
- Ability and willingness to manage CSV deliverables for a project without supervision and to ensure integrity of the CSV packet performing QC document reviews and ensuring discrepancy remediation as necessary.
- Solid understanding of relational database theory, multi-tiered application architecture and related testing strategies.
MINIMUM REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
Bachelor’s Degree in Information Technology or related field
7 to 8 years applications software testing or computer systems validation experience, including some experience in a project lead role or supervisory capacity; or equivalent combination of education, training and experience
- Extensive use of telephone and face-to-face communication requiring accurate perception of speech
- Extensive use of keyboard and mouse requiring repetitive motion of fingers and wrists
- Regular sitting for extended periods of time
- Occasional travel
Back to top