Software Engineer 2
Launched in 2015, Q2 Solutions is a leading global clinical trials laboratory services organization. We help biopharmaceutical, medical device and diagnostics customers improve human health through innovation that transforms science and data into actionable medical insights.
EA Genomics, a division of Q2 Solutions, is a premier genomic services organization, excelling in implementing technologies and services to accelerate research in complex human diseases and the optimal treatment and diagnosis thereof. The software infrastructure for analysis and processing in support of those services makes use of a combination of open-source and custom-built, specialized application software. Our automated workflows for DNA and RNA sequencing analysis use a high performance computing Linux cluster.
The Translational Genomics Scientific Programming Group within EA Genomics work alongside bioinformaticists to develop software for DNA and RNA workflows. New members are expected to have an immediate impact on current activities and help to define the direction we take as we grow.
- Flexibility. You will be one of a handful of software engineers in an organization that prides itself with its ability to quickly adapt and adjust to the needs of our clients. You will need to communicate with people who do not have software engineering backgrounds. You will be asked to perform tasks that are outside of your comfort zone.
- Pragmatism. We believe that greenfield software development exists, but we have never seen it. There will always be something you can use that someone else developed. You will often need to interface with legacy systems. You will have to balance risk and reward to fit your solution into a scheduled deadline that was set without your input.
- Curiosity. We hire software engineers and teach them bioinformatics. You may learn things about molecular biology, DNA and RNA sequencing, and statistical analysis every week. You may need to become our expert on a popular data format, or learn a statistical scripting language to support your next project. You will get to know the needs of our customers, the research performed by your coworkers, and bioinformatic details about every project you work on.
- Apply formal software engineering methodologies to develop solutions in a timely manner. Track and provide status updates to support project schedules.
- Develop data analysis workflows alongside bioinformaticists. Learn the scientific, statistical, and analytical methods applied. Create requirements, design, and user manual documentation to support validation efforts.
- Evaluate, test, and improve legacy software tools.
- Build, test, and evaluate third-party software tools.
- Evaluate computational efficiency of large-scale scientific computing systems in an effort to identify system software components in need of development, improvement, or replacement.
- Troubleshoot problems, provide workarounds, and develop patches to software and systems.
- Perform other duties and learning activities as directed.
- Experience using the C and Python languages to implement Object Oriented Designs.
- Strong opinions on the subject of software engineering and what it means to create quality software.
- Experience evaluating and improving the efficiency of programs in a Linux environment.
- Experience with command line compilation and debugging.
- Experience with makefiles, coverage analysis and other forms of runtime profiling.
- Experience with all phases of the Software Development Life Cycle.
- Ability to effectively handle multiple tasks with a high level of accuracy and attention to detail.
- Working knowledge of MS Office suite of applications.
- Good verbal and written communication skills.
- BONUS: Experience designing relational databases.
MINIMUM REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- A Bachelor’s degree in computer science or related field and five years of relevant experience, or
- A Master’s degree in computer science or related field and three years of relevant experience.
- Extensive use of keyboard requiring repetitive motion of fingers.
- Face-to-face communication requiring accurate perception of speech.
- Regular sitting for extended periods of time.
EEO Minorities/Females/Protected Veterans/Disabled
Back to top