Vice President of Development
Who We Are
Detroit-based Bedrock is a full-service real estate firm specializing in acquiring, developing, leasing, financing, and managing commercial and residential buildings. Since its founding in 2011, Bedrock and its affiliates has committed more than $5.6 billion in acquiring and developing more than 100 properties in downtown Detroit and Cleveland totaling more than 16 million square feet.
Bedrock is leading Detroit’s building boom with the city’s largest and most ambitious projects. These projects meet an increasing demand for Class A office space and modern living options in a growing and technology-centric urban core, with an emphasis on ground-level activation and increased walkability. In the next five years, Bedrock plans to deliver 3,500 new residential units to the market; from City Modern, an 8.4-acre neighborhood where residents can age in place; to 28Grand, where residents use the city as their living room; to the Hudson’s project, which will soon be home to Detroit’s tallest building and most landmark address.
Our Core Values: Independently Driven | Never Satisfied | Relentless Commitment to Service
At Bedrock, we create unique experiences through real estate! From your experience each day at the workplace to the experience we create for those who live, work, and play in our spaces, we are focused on making a lasting impression through our properties and developments. We are looking for team members that want to make an impact in the fast-paced world of real estate, management and development and who want to be a part of a team who is changing the landscape in the cities where we work. At Bedrock, you will be a part of an inspirational, energy-filled environment. Come join the momentum! For more Information, visit bedrockdetroit.com or engage with us on Twitter @BedrockDetroit and Facebook.
What You'll Do/Need
The VP of Development has the ultimate responsibility for guiding and driving all applicable projects from conception through completion, ensuring that each development represents the company’s interests and meets or exceeds the financial goals of the project. The VP of Development will provide critical and high level development coordination and management for various projects. More specifically, this will provide assistance with and/or will be directly responsible for any of the following job responsibilities.
- Provide analytical support for investment and strategic business decisions in real estate development
- Evaluate and establish project objectives in order to maximize the use of the property and the ROI
- Coordinate and arrange broad scope due-diligence and feasibility studies, as required to determine market characteristics and critical attributes of the physical site, as they relate to revenue and cost projections
- Identify, pursue and obtain all applicable sources of subsidy and any other financial vehicles that will facilitate the completion of the project within the established ROI objectives
- Evaluate on an ongoing basis the timing of each prospective development and determine which projects should receive maximum attention, based upon the potential profitability of each project at any point in time
- Evaluate design alternatives, reviewing options with appropriate Leasing, Design, Construction and Development staff
- Facilitate evaluation of the project design by Management and Operations in order to ensure that the interests of each group are satisfied, progressing through the development process as key milestones (entitlements, pre-leasing, financing, etc.) are achieved and approval is obtained to proceed
- Establish, monitor and drive developments to be on schedule and on budget
- Interface with in-house Construction personnel from concept studies through bid documents, performing ongoing cost analyses in order to accurately determine the project cost and identify the most cost efficient construction means, materials and methods and the related schedule
- Work with Development, design, construction and third party professionals to develop and refine plans to produce high quality communities that are responsive to the needs of residence/tenants and are financially feasible
- Supervise and approve all design decisions to maximize the physical and aesthetic quality and overall effectiveness of the project, while minimizing cost
- Facilitate and monitor tenant design and construction effort to ensure that the project development and design objectives are satisfied
- Manage the Development team and the relationship between internal cross-functional teams
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree in Urban Development, Finance, Design, Law or related field
- Graduate Degree preferred
- 15 years or more of experience in development of significant real estate projects with preference for experience in mixed use, multifamily and retail projects
- High quality analytical skills with an emphasis on the development process
- Ability to learn quickly in a dynamic, fast‐paced environment
- Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to work on multiple projects at once
- Strong work ethic and positive attitude
- Self‐motivated and able to work with minimal supervision
- Real Estate, law, planning, architecture or engineering certifications or licenses are helpful, but not required
Meet Some of Quicken Loans's Employees
Aliciajewell designs and tests banking reports, as well as provides support for internal tools—and leads training classes for the Quicken Loans Business Intelligence Team.
Back to top