System Engineer Intern - Summer 2021
- Detroit, MI
- Experience with scripting languages such as PowerShell, Bash and Python
- Experience with virtualization, scripting automation and storage systems
- Exposure to performing server, network and storage systems design, implementation and administration
- Windows and Linux OS administration experience
- Exposure to traditional enterprise platform management, server administration or relational databases
- Experience with infrastructure-as-a-service platforms such as AWS and Google Compute Engine
- 3 or more years of work toward a bachelor's degree in computer science or a related field
- Experience with development using GitHub or TFS
Interns at the Rock Family of Companies gain priceless hands-on experience. Here, they learn how it feels to be in the workplace, participate in events and become a valuable member of our team.
- Pair with engineering teams to support on-prem infrastructure
- Help document processes and procedures
- Work with a mentor to learn and design automation of procedures and or tasks using tools such as PowerShell or Terraform, etc.
- Assist with management and support of cloud infrastructure as well as on-prem servers
- Assist with driving infrastructure as code and configuration management communities of practices across the organization
- Help perform routine maintenance of owned infrastructure such as patching and OS upgrades
- Work with a mentor to help migrate systems from on-prem to cloud
- Work with a mentor to help upgrade server OS
- Identify opportunities to automate processes to help the server team be more efficient and effective in delivery of services
- Participate during technical incidents to assist with troubleshooting and resolution of system outages
- Participate during planning discussions with teams to help understand the scope of work required and communicate realistic expectations of what can be provided
- Effectively research and troubleshoot solutions to problems as well as learn new technologies to assist the business functions
- Network with teammates across the organization in order to build a comfort level with asking for help and providing help to others
Who We Are
Rock Central is recruiting for 20+ businesses in the Rock Family of Companies for Summer 2021 internships. Interns can expect to gain hands-on experience, learn how it feels to be in the workplace, participate in professional development opportunities and become a valuable member of a team.
This is an outline of the primary responsibilities of this position. As with everything in life, things change. The tasks and responsibilities can be changed, added to, removed, amended, deleted and modified at any time by the leadership group.
Back to top