Sr. Database Engineer
Who We Are
Who We Are
Detroit-based Rock Ventures serves and connects Quicken Loans Founder and Cleveland Cavaliers Majority Owner Dan Gilbert’s portfolio of more than 100 companies. The Rock Ventures Family of Companies' mission is to increase growth, innovation and prosperity in the cities in which its more than 30,000 team members live, work and play. Key initiatives include real estate development, community investments and economic development. Rock Security offers 24/7 safety and security services and training to the Rock Ventures Family of Companies’ team members, tenants and visitors. We’re proud to be part of collaborative public-private partnerships working towards common goals of enhancing the safety for everyone who lives, works and visits Detroit, Cleveland and our other home cities.
What You'll Do/Need
The Senior Data Engineer (SDE) is responsible for building database systems that are high-quality, scalable, and high-performance to meet the demands of our rapidly growing and ever-changing environment. This includes all database development from data modeling and query writing through to performance tuning in our production environments. The SDE works closely with the analyst, development, quality assurance, and architecture teams to create physical database designs. In addition, they implement performance tuning to ensure a smooth experience. As necessary the SDE is also responsible for writing ETL processes using SQL Server Integration Services (SSIS).
The Senior Database Engineer is essential in building the integrations across the dozens of mission critical applications, responsible for creating all the databases to support our internal software development team. Whether the project team work in an agile SDLC methodology or more planned in a project, the Senior Database Engineer is expected to participate in the projects and be the resident “data person.” Their focus is also enforcing our database design best practices, protecting our data, and supporting the production environment.
In addition, the SDE is expected to develop best practices for the engineers and standards for code and for table design. The SDE is expected to own and promote these standards and practices. The SDE is aware of the big picture for the data across multiple systems and platforms and shapes the overall implementation of the code and processes.
- Create, modify, and support all SQL Server physical database models.
- Write complex T-SQL to support the functionality of the system being designed/supported.
- Create SSIS packages to move data between systems throughout the enterprise.
- Lead code and design reviews
- Create, modify, and support SQL Agent Jobs as necessary.
- Work closely with the business and technology teams to ensure the database is meeting the needs
- Work closely with the database administrators to forecast storage, disaster recovery, and archiving needs.
- Support production with diagnosing, troubleshooting, performance tuning, and resolving issues.
- Participate in a regular on-call rotation
- Create standards and best practices for database design and development
- Research and evaluate third-party tools to increase efficiency
- Act as a mentor for other team members
- Take ownership and prove to be a subject matter expert in one or more business areas.
- Participate in the R&D phase of the SDLC to provide high-level estimates of effort and scope for new projects.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or equivalent plus 5+ years of related work experience
- 5+ years of experience in developing and supporting Microsoft SQL Server databases
- Understanding of database design/architecture in a Microsoft SQL Server environment
- Expert in strategies and approaches for performance optimization, troubleshooting, and monitoring
- Knowledge of the .NET platform and services oriented architecture required
- Basic SQL Server Administration skills preferred
- Data modeling, query optimization and strong knowledge of T-SQL
- Ability to understand large data models quickly
- Knowledge of the Microsoft Office Suite including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Visio, and Outlook
- Ability to mentor, train, and present topics in large groups
- Strong ability to make technical decisions with minimal information
What You'll Get
- Excellent benefits package that includes a 401(k) match, dental and vision insurance, and much more
- Opportunities to participate in professional and personal development programs
- Other incentives, contests and rewards, including chances to win trips, event tickets, cash prizes and more
- Compensation commensurate with experience and industry standards
- Independently Driven
- Intelligently Collaborative
- Never Satisfied
- Relentless Commitment to Service
- Flexible and Quick to Adapt
- Critical Thinker
- Team Player
Why We’re Different:
Meet the anti-corporate culture of the Rock Ventures Family of Companies, where there's no daunting hierarchy, "boss" is a four-letter word, and if you work hard, you're the one who'll reap the rewards, both personally and professionally. More than any other place you'll work, we're dedicated to honing your skills, helping you grow and making sure you have plenty of fun while you're at it.
Rock Security LLC is an equal opportunity employer.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, and may be modified periodically.
Back to top