Who We Are
Detroit-based Rock Ventures serves and connects Quicken Loans Founder and Cleveland Cavaliers Majority Owner Dan Gilbert’s portfolio of more than 100 companies. The Rock Ventures Family of Companies' mission is to increase growth, innovation and prosperity in the cities in which its more than 30,000 team members live, work and play. Key initiatives include real estate development, community investments and economic development.
What You'll Do/Need
We need a self-starter who can stay one step ahead and help our team succeed. This position reports to the Controller and works with 3-5 team members. The Senior Accountant works with the team to run a smooth, efficient and organized office. The primary responsibilities are to perform and oversee daily operations related to accounting requirements, including cash management, financial and tax accounting needs as well as to support the investment operations function.
Rock Ventures is fast-paced with a commitment to providing a high level of service. Therefore, you must be able to independently prioritize multiple assignments in a changing environment while keeping a positive and professional attitude. The work can be very confidential in nature, so consistent good judgment about what can and cannot be shared is essential. We work with a high degree of collaboration, communication and urgency and need someone who can multitask between projects and day-to-day activities. A high degree of personal leadership is just as important as your technical, organizational, communication and people skills.
- Evaluate internal controls and business processes to identify process improvements
- Use report writer software Qlik to prepare reporting packages
- Maintain and ensure on-demand reports are working and reflect accurate information
- Research complex issues and suggest resolutions
- Understand and interpret state laws as they relate to the business
- Assist with special projects as necessary
- Examine a variety of accounting documents to verify accuracy of computations
- Ensure transactions are in accordance with applicable authorities, policies and procedures and are recorded
- Maintain a schedule of investments and ledgers for several entities, trusts and foundations
- Prepare bank reconciliations for individuals, family partnerships, LLCs and trusts
- Assist in developing a process to monitor daily cash flows from direct data feeds
- Three years of accounting and/or finance experience
- Proficiency in Microsoft office and ability to pick up new technology
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent organizational and prioritization skills, ability to meet deadlines and accurately manage details
- while working independently as well as with people
- Strong technical acumen to successfully work in a variety of systems and with a variety of technologies
- Ability to proactively leverage technology to work smarter and produce better results
- Ability to understand complex reconciliations and complete simplified reconciliations for audits
What’ll Make You Special
- Experience working in a client-centric environment
- Understanding of Qlik, SQL or other reporting software
What You'll Get
- Excellent benefits package that includes a 401(k) match, medical/dental/vision, and much more
- Opportunities to participate in professional and personal development programs, including personal empowerment coaching, leadership training and ongoing personal growth training
- Other incentives, contests and rewards, including trips, event tickets, cash prizes, and more
Why We're Different
Meet the anti-corporate culture of Rock Ventures, where there's no daunting hierarchy, "boss" is a four-letter word, and if you work hard, you're the one who'll reap the rewards, both personally and professionally. More than any other place you'll work, we're dedicated to honing your skills, helping you grow and making sure you have plenty of fun while you're at it.
Rock Ventures is an equal opportunity employer.
Meet Some of Quicken Loans's Employees
Aliciajewell designs and tests banking reports, as well as provides support for internal tools—and leads training classes for the Quicken Loans Business Intelligence Team.
Back to top