Senior Big Data Engineer
- Detroit, MI
- Bachelor's degree in computer science, information technology, or a related field or equivalent experience
- 4 years of experience with big data/Hadoop distribution and ecosystem tools, such as Hive, HBase, Spark, Kafka, NiFi and Oozie
- 4 years of experience developing batch and streaming ETL processes
- 4 years of experience working with relational and NoSQL databases, including modeling and writing complex queries
- Master's degree in computer science, information technology, or a related field or equivalent experience
- Experience with programming languages, such as Python, Java or C#
- Experience with Linux system administration, Linux scripting, and basic network skills
- Experience coding against and developing REST API's
The Big Data Engineer is responsible for engaging in the design, development and maintenance of the big data platform and solutions. This includes analytical solutions that provide visibility and decision support using big data technologies.
The role involves administering a Hadoop cluster, developing data integration solutions, and work with data scientists, system administrators and data architects to ensure the platform meets business demands.
- Develop ELT processes from various data repositories and APIs across the enterprise, ensuring data quality and process efficiency
- Develop data processing scripts using Spark
- Develop relational and NoSQL data models to help conform data to meet users' needs using Hive and HBase
- Integrate platform into existing EDW and various operational systems
- Develop administration processes to monitor cluster performance, resource usage, backup and mirroring to ensure a highly available platform.
- Address performance and scalability issues in a large-scale data lake environment
Who We Are
Rock Central is a Detroit-based professional services company obsessed with delivering innovative, effective solutions to meet the diverse needs of our clients. From legal and finance to technology and public relations, our expertise spans from executive consulting all the way to tactical implementation. We thrive at the intersection of people, process and technology and empower our partners to unleash the maximum potential of their business through unmatched partnership and the entrepreneurial spirit of a startup. From the smallest venture to the largest enterprises, we believe having an impact is never a question - it's part of our DNA.
This is an outline of the primary responsibilities of this position. As with everything in life, things change. The tasks and responsibilities can be changed, added to, removed, amended, deleted and modified at any time by the leadership group.
Back to top