Lead Building Engineer
Who We Are
Detroit-based Bedrock is a full-service real estate firm specializing in acquiring, developing, leasing, financing, and managing commercial and residential buildings. Since its founding in 2011, Bedrock and its affiliates has committed more than $5.6 billion in acquiring and developing more than 100 properties in downtown Detroit and Cleveland totaling more than 16 million square feet.
Bedrock is leading Detroit’s building boom with the city’s largest and most ambitious projects. These projects meet an increasing demand for Class A office space and modern living options in a growing and technology-centric urban core, with an emphasis on ground-level activation and increased walkability. In the next five years, Bedrock plans to deliver 3,500 new residential units to the market; from City Modern, an 8.4-acre neighborhood where residents can age in place; to 28Grand, where residents use the city as their living room; to the Hudson’s project, which will soon be home to Detroit’s tallest building and most landmark address.
Our Core Values: Independently Driven | Never Satisfied | Relentless Commitment to Service
At Bedrock, we create unique experiences through real estate! From your experience each day at the workplace to the experience we create for those who live, work, and play in our spaces, we are focused on making a lasting impression through our properties and developments. We are looking for team members that want to make an impact in the fast-paced world of real estate, management and development and who want to be a part of a team who is changing the landscape in the cities where we work. At Bedrock, you will be a part of an inspirational, energy-filled environment. Come join the momentum! For more Information, visit bedrockdetroit.com or engage with us on Twitter @BedrockDetroit and Facebook.
What You'll Do/Need
To assist the Engineering Manager/Property Manager with the planning, coordination, and management of all mechanical operations, maintenance, energy management programs, and employee development programs to Bedrock quality standards and operating objectives.
The Engineers Team is responsible for the operation and maintenance of all building equipment and systems, including mechanical, electrical, plumbing (MEP), Fire Life Safety (FLS), and Integration. Housed within their layered team is our Building Controls Team, which offers additional in house installation, programming, and management services. Engineering also works on due diligence of newly acquired building ensuring that we stick to outline budgets. The Engineering Team also drives green and sustainability initiatives by using the best technologies available and continuously working to lessen our carbon footprint.
- Apply Bedrock Engineering operation and maintenance standards to ensure safe, efficient, and operational longevity to all HVAC and MEP related equipment.
- Act as a team member with all members of the Management Staff to insure compliance with all company policies and mandates.
- Accept responsibility for one or more Bedrock Engineering programs as directed by Supervisor.
- Assist with the administration/presentation of all company mandated Assessments, as directed by Management
- Coordinate, oversee, and participate in the successful completion of assigned duties of the Engineering group.
- Prioritize assigned tasks to the Engineering group and execute necessary changes.
- Act without approval to ensure that standards are maintained in the absence of the Supervisor.
- Ensure adequate supply of common and special parts, supplies, tools, equipment, and materials required by the Engineering group.
- Assist in the administration of the Preventive Maintenance program (Yardi) to ensure records are accurate and complete, tasks are performed on schedule, and historic data is preserved.
- Monitor and approve time-cards for hourly staff as directed by supervision
- Guide subordinates to ensure strict adherence to start, lunch, and stop times.
- Guide subordinates to ensure optimum productivity and time management.
- Provide support to Supervisors to ensure compliance with all governmental codes, laws, and regulations.
- Supervise and coordinate Contractor activities as directed by Management, to include all necessary Utility/Equipment shutdowns.
- Develop and maintain favorable professional relationships with tenants by providing prompt and courteous response to Service Requests.
- Conduct at minimum weekly department meetings with the hourly staff to communicate expectations, property developments, company information, etc, to help insure the inclusion of the hourly engineers with management.
- Coordinate engineers shifts (Flex) and overtime assignments as directed by supervision
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Engineering Manager of a usual and customary nature as would be expected of a Leadership position.
- Ability to climb up and down stairs and ladders.
- Ability to lift 50 lbs. or more.
- Ability to work standing all day.
- Ability to access remote work areas, i.e., crawl spaces, roofs.
- Ability to use of olfactory, auditory and visual senses.
- Ability to utilize full manual dexterity (i.e. sitting, squatting, bending, crawling, kneeling, lifting, walking, manipulating tools with limbs extended).
- Ability to meet highest attendance requirements.
- Ability to accommodate varying work schedules.
- Intermediate working knowledge of electrical, electronic, pneumatic, and mechanical control devices.
- Knowledge of basic hand tools, i.e., socket sets, wrenches, pliers, screwdrivers, saws and hammers, etc.
- Knowledge of power tools (pneumatic, electric, or engine drive) drill motors, saws, grinder, impact wrenches, and drain cleaner, etc.
- Ability to read and use shop manuals and drawings.
- Ability to read steam, gas, water, and electric utility meters.
- Ability to use basic measuring and recording equipment such as temperature indicators, pressure gauges, and voltage testers.
- Ability to use deductive logic for troubleshooting equipment.
- Intermediate computer keyboard interface skills.
- Good verbal and written communication skills.
Organizational and Leadership Attributes:
- Possess strong organizational and decision-making skills.
- Assist in the development and implementation of practices and procedures for installing, maintaining, repairing, and improving building equipment, structure, and finishes.
- Preplan Engineering group activities to minimize surprises and redirection.
- Help to create an environment of cooperation, impartiality, honesty, respect, and encouragement.
- Demonstrate the ability to lead and motivate subordinate Engineers.
- Involve group Engineers in the decision making and problem solving process where productively beneficial.
- Search for ways to refine Engineering procedures and expand accomplishments.
- Become familiar with all Bedrock Engineering programs and standards.
- Develop working knowledge of all common Engineering operations through working exposure, cross-training, educational opportunities, and independent study.
- Participate in training programs both as a student and as a teacher.
- Develop good verbal, written, and electronic communication skills.
- Possess the ability to calculate surfaces, volumes, weights, and measure.
- Possess the ability to perform fundamental electrical calculations and application of Ohm’s Law.
- Possess the ability to perform fundamental heat transfer and fluid/air flow calculations.
- Possess Bedrock integration (Tridium) system knowledge and ability to control systems through on-site staff training sessions.
- Successfully complete all mandatory Bedrock Engineering Training Programs, and assist as needed with the implementation of same within the buildings engineering group.
Meet Some of Quicken Loans's Employees
Aliciajewell designs and tests banking reports, as well as provides support for internal tools—and leads training classes for the Quicken Loans Business Intelligence Team.
Back to top