Application Engineer - Kafka
- Detroit, MI
- Bachelor's degree in computer science or the equivalent, plus 3 years of related work experience
- Understanding of Confluent Kafka design and architecture
- Experience with other integration platforms (such as Message Queues, ESBs and API Gateways) is a plus
- Ability to debug problems and quickly resolve issues
- Ability to work independently as well as with a team
- Effective written and verbal communication skills
- Drive and determination to learn, take on new challenges and become a better engineer
The Application Engineer plays a leading role in the configuration, performance, standards and design of our Confluent Kafka Enterprise Service Bus. The Application Engineer ensures the stability, integrity, and efficient operation of Kafka. This team member applies proven communication, analytical and problem-solving skills to help identify, communicate and resolve issues. The Application Engineer works closely with developers, project managers, product owners, systems engineers and architects.
- Be responsible for the administrative ownership of the Confluent Kafka vendor portal, including managing and approving non-admin user access
- Manage the cloud platform by creating and maintaining clusters at the enterprise level, managing prod and non-prod environments, managing the Transit Gateway, keeping track of monthly usage-based billing for anomalies and monitoring system health proactively
- Liaise with Confluent Kafka support, including working with the vendor on support issues and feature requests and proactively staying up to date on vendor changes and offerings
- Fill the role of Kafka subject matter expert by acting as a consultant for internal teams with respect to best practices for using Kafka, helping with topic creation and management, owning and managing the Kafka Schema Registry, helping new teams with first-time access and Kafka usage, educating teams on Kafka capabilities such as KSqlDb, helping setup Kafka connectors to internal systems (on-prem and cloud) and helping teams to adopt new features
- Help to create and maintain reusable client libraries for internal teams to access Kafka, supporting multiple languages, such as C# and Node.js
- Support and maintain Terraform modules for Kafka topic creation
Who We Are
We're America's largest mortgage lender, closing loans in all 50 states. J.D. Power ranked Quicken Loans "Highest in Customer Satisfaction in Primary Mortgage Origination" for the past 10 consecutive years, 2010 - 2019. The company was also ranked highest in the nation for client satisfaction among mortgage servicers by J.D. Power for 7 consecutive years, 2014 through 2020, each year the company was eligible. There's a simple reason we've been so successful: We care about the people we work with.
If you're tired of stuffy, bureaucratic workplaces, then you'll be delighted to find something different here. We strive to make a creative, fun and collaborative environment you simply won't find anywhere else. Quicken Loans was once again named to FORTUNE magazine's "100 Best Companies to Work For" list in 2019 and has been included in the magazine's top one-third of companies named to the list for the past 16 consecutive years. In addition, Essence Magazine named Quicken Loans the "#1 Place to Work in the Country for African Americans."
This is an outline of the primary responsibilities of this position. As with everything in life, things change. The tasks and responsibilities can be changed, added to, removed, amended, deleted and modified at any time by the leadership group.
Back to top