Applications Systems Engineer, Contractor
The Applications Analyst is responsible for application support and performance monitoring of production student assessment (K-12 tests) web applications. This position will also work closely with DevOps staff, assisting in support of environment builds and continuous integration support. See technical landscape section below.
- Monitor logs and performance data daily for online student assessment web applications
- Provide tier 2 escalation support for customer service technical service representatives, in order to mitigate customer downtime
- Provide application trouble-shooting and issue resolution when possible.Escalate issues and collaborate with tier 3 development and/or systems staff as required
- Deploy application environments and verify configurations to ensure compliance with build standards.Environments included in deployments and ongoing support will be production and all lower environments.
- Work closely with DevOps staff for application delivery and support
- Work closely with infrastructure systems team on platform stacks, products and upgrades
- Provide internal support to developers, quality assurance, business analyst and product release staff to ensure code is properly deployed
- Work with deployment and data teams on importing/exporting and trouble-shooting data issues
- Lead installation and coordination of testing fixes for production related issues, following a change management process
- Provide backup support for primary DevOps systems engineering staff as needed
- Work collaboratively with Development, QA, DevOps, Infrastructure, Information Security, Customer Service and Product Release teams on deployment, environment and support issues
- Participate in an on-call rotation for application support escalations
- Administer monitoring checks and alerting (e.g. Nagios/Check_MK)
- Must be able to communicate effectively to all (internal and external) project team members across various in-person and remote telephone or web conferences.
- Display excellent communication skills by being able to converse with technical and non-technical people; write concise and clear documentation; and make effective presentations.
- Good customer focus, attitude and excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to be self-directed and motivated.
- A collaborative style that emphasizes teamwork, values the contributions of each team member, and encourages participation in achieving results for the organization and its customers.
- Ability to organize time and information to successfully complete projects.
- Multitasking skills a must.
- Ability to listen and learn from others.
- Analytical and strong problem solving skills.
- A Bachelor's degree in computer science or related field preferred (or equivalent experience)
- 3 years of experience supporting of enterprise web applications and web services
- Proficiency supporting ASP.NET with IIS and IIS management (e.g. app pools)
- Ability to review web and application logs, making correlations with application performance and issue identification
- Experience with F5 application load balancing preferred
- SQL Server database administration and data quality management (light experience necessary)
- Experience with application queueing/messaging management preferred
- 1-2 years of experience in development teams using automation associated with continuous integration, deployment and release management (e.g. Jenkins, Bamboo, etc)
- Application single sign-on with SAML and/or OAuth preferred
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment, managing multiple issues and administrative activities
- Must be authorized to work in the United States and not require visa sponsorship now or in the future.
- Must be willing to relocate to the Minneapolis-St. Paul, MN area (telecommuting not available)
- Schedule: 40 hours per week (more than 40 hours per week may be necessary depending on projects)
Technical Landscape at QAI:
Content Delivery Network (CDN)
Active Directory Federation Services (ADFS)
Meet Some of Questar Assessment's Employees
Team Lead, Customer Service
Steve coaches his team and works alongside them as they strive to provide technical solutions to Questar’s customers, ensuring users are able to integrate and use Questar products quickly and with ease.
Back to top