Applications Systems Engineer, Contractor
The Applications Analyst is responsible for application support and performance monitoring of production student assessment (K-12 tests) web applications. This position will also work closely with DevOps staff, assisting in support of environment builds and continuous integration support. See technical landscape section below.
- Monitor logs and performance data daily for online student assessment web applications
- Provide tier 2 escalation support for customer service technical service representatives, in order to mitigate customer downtime
- Provide application trouble-shooting and issue resolution when possible.Escalate issues and collaborate with tier 3 development and/or systems staff as required
- Deploy application environments and verify configurations to ensure compliance with build standards.Environments included in deployments and ongoing support will be production and all lower environments.
- Work closely with DevOps staff for application delivery and support
- Work closely with infrastructure systems team on platform stacks, products and upgrades
- Provide internal support to developers, quality assurance, business analyst and product release staff to ensure code is properly deployed
- Work with deployment and data teams on importing/exporting and trouble-shooting data issues
- Lead installation and coordination of testing fixes for production related issues, following a change management process
- Provide backup support for primary DevOps systems engineering staff as needed
- Work collaboratively with Development, QA, DevOps, Infrastructure, Information Security, Customer Service and Product Release teams on deployment, environment and support issues
- Participate in an on-call rotation for application support escalations
- Administer monitoring checks and alerting (e.g. Nagios/Check_MK)
- Must be able to communicate effectively to all (internal and external) project team members across various in-person and remote telephone or web conferences.
- Display excellent communication skills by being able to converse with technical and non-technical people; write concise and clear documentation; and make effective presentations.
- Good customer focus, attitude and excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to be self-directed and motivated.
- A collaborative style that emphasizes teamwork, values the contributions of each team member, and encourages participation in achieving results for the organization and its customers.
- Ability to organize time and information to successfully complete projects.
- Multitasking skills a must.
- Ability to listen and learn from others.
- Analytical and strong problem solving skills.
- A Bachelor's degree in computer science or related field preferred (or equivalent experience)
- 3 years of experience supporting of enterprise web applications and web services
- Proficiency supporting ASP.NET with IIS and IIS management (e.g. app pools)
- Ability to review web and application logs, making correlations with application performance and issue identification
- Experience with F5 application load balancing preferred
- SQL Server database administration and data quality management (light experience necessary)
- Experience with application queueing/messaging management preferred
- 1-2 years of experience in development teams using automation associated with continuous integration, deployment and release management (e.g. Jenkins, Bamboo, etc)
- Application single sign-on with SAML and/or OAuth preferred
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment, managing multiple issues and administrative activities
- Must be authorized to work in the United States and not require visa sponsorship now or in the future.
- Must be willing to relocate to the Minneapolis-St. Paul, MN area (telecommuting not available)
- Schedule: 40 hours per week (more than 40 hours per week may be necessary depending on projects)
Technical Landscape at QAI:
Content Delivery Network (CDN)
Active Directory Federation Services (ADFS)
Meet Some of Questar Assessment's Employees
Melissa works from a design standpoint to ensure that every interaction with one of Questar’s products or applications is as easy, intuitive, and painless as possible.
Back to top