Staff Software Engineer, Cluster Interfaces
Cluster Interfaces is responsible for all of the entry points into Quantcast’s big data services. We develop and operate a SQL-On-MapReduce platform along with a data catalog. Quantcast’s SQL-On-MapReduce platform is very similar to Hive, providing company wide easy access to our core data assets.
The team also develops a dashboard through which data pipelines are scheduled and executed. The dashboard provides a holistic view into the company’s data pipelines, including their dependency trees, capacity needs, and execution times. It also allows users to define data retention policies, monitoring, and alerting. The dashboard is similar to the open source project Azkaban.
Quantcast is looking for a person that can lead and develop our own SQL-On-MapReduce solution. It leverages Facebook’s Presto framework and Quantcast’s custom MapReduce to process ~80 PB per month. In addition to driving our SQL-On-MapReduce language development, you will work on our data catalog similar to HCatalog and our pipeline scheduler (similar to Azkaban) to make SQL-On-MapReduce scripts easy to use and deploy.
- Research and make decisions on the future path of the platform
- Design, implement features, as well as optimize and debug SQL-On-MapReduce jobs
- Mentor and grow team members
- Advise users across multiple teams
- Improve SQL-On-MapReduce as both an ad-hoc query platform and alternative language for writing Map/Reduce jobs
- Work closely with cluster and operations teams
- Work with various languages and really big data
- Participate in a light on-call rotation
- Contribute not only to the team roadmap, but also to the vision of big data services at Quantcast
- BS in computer science or equivalent experience
- Comfort developing and operating in a linux environment
- Understanding of object oriented programming
- Track record of developing high performance, scalable, and reliable systems and/or platforms
- Strong knowledge of SQL and SQL on Hadoop solutions examples include Hive, Impala, Presto, and Drill
- Experience with and understanding of Map/Reduce
- Proven problem solving skills
- Strong written communication and documentation skills
- Proficiency and high level of insight into Linux OS and running software systems on Linux
- Passion about engineering excellence, good practices and continuous improvement thereof
Quantcast helps create a more personalized digital world. We have built one of the world’s most sophisticated data-intelligence platforms, utilizing big data and machine learning to solve the biggest challenges in marketing and create more rewarding experiences across the digital landscape. Publishers use our insights to better understand audiences and how content resonates with consumers they want to attract and retain. Marketers utilize our understanding of online behavior and our predictive advertising capabilities to reach the customers likeliest to engage with their messages. Consumers see the results of our work in relevant stories and advertisements that create a personalized experience across all of their devices.
Quantcast was honored as a Glassdoor Best Place to Work in 2015 & 2016. To learn more, follow Quantcast on Glassdoor.
Back to top