Sr. Systems Engineer
- San Francisco, CA
Quantcast is seeking an experienced systems/backend engineer to join our Developer Tools team. This team curates multiple kubernetes clusters, along with some UI/templating components that manage jobs and services run on these clusters. Throughout the past year and a half the team has enabled the migration of several hundred services to kubernetes. By crafting tools that make following solid engineering practices the path of least resistance, this team improves service reliability, reduces costs, and makes engineering work more pleasant at Quantcast.
Technologies used by this team:
• Ruby on Rails
• AWS Apis
- Stay on top of trends in the growing kubernetes ecosystem. This team runs a lot of daemons on kube to solve common problems in engineering, such as ingress/load balancing, auth* in AWS, DNS changes, logging, and autoscaling, to name a few, with even more coming. You should be interested in curating a fine suite of devops tools, enabling Quantcast to continue processing terabytes of data per day at remarkably low cost
- Participate in an on-call cycle (~1 week/5), as do all other engineers at Quantcast. Because this team owns many services, the on-call burden has the potential to quickly degenerate without continuous adjustment of monitors and fixing issues quickly as they arise. As a senior engineer you will be proactively coming up with monitors to ensure that our customers are never aware of an issue before we are, and aggressively working to ensure those monitors rarely go off
- As a senior engineer your focus will be on both justifying and obtaining technical outcomes. You'll participate in the planning process and propose projects which you think will be valuable to the other engineering teams across the org. This involves actual conversations with engineers across the company, evaluating the current cost of existing processes, demonstrating that improvements are possible, executing on those improvements with the help of the team, and measuring the outcome of your work. All of these steps benefit from strong communication skills
- 5 years of relevant experience
- Strong familiarity with the Unix CLI, debugging tools, and networking stack
- Knowledge of common kubernetes API objects and how to use them (e.g. when to use a Deployment vs a ReplicaSet)
- Interest in the kubernetes ecosystem, open source tools, and daemons
- Experience with web development using standard MVC frameworks (ideally with Ruby on Rails and React JS)
- Remaining in a stationary position, often working on a computer for prolonged periods of time
- Operating a computer for up to 40 hours per week
- Carrying a laptop, and equipment to various meetings
- Ability to work in person in SF office (once offices reopen post Covid 19)
- Ability to work nights and weekends as required when on call
Quantcast is an advertising technology company and the creator of an innovative intelligent audience platform that empowers brands, agencies and publishers to know and grow their audiences online. Our solutions are leveling the playing field for our customers when it comes to effectively reaching audiences online and helping them power a thriving free and open internet for everyone. Founded in 2006 and headquartered in San Francisco, Quantcast has employees in 20 offices across 10 countries.
We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse environment where everyone can be their authentic self. We work to ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
Back to top