Senior Website Operations Engineer, Web Core
The Web Core team owns quantcast.com and keeps it running smoothly for the 1M+ visitors it gets every month. We also develop and maintain the shared application infrastructure used by other teams within the organization to develop externally facing applications. Some of these tools include authentication, authorization, navigation panels, load balancing, A/B infrastructure, deployment services as well as supporting our Wordpress marketing site.
As our ideal candidate for this role, you will have significant experience testing and maintaining mission-critical web applications. You will be adept at finding bottlenecks, analyzing performance, tuning alerts, identifying single points of failure and deploying software in a zero downtime manner. You will know how to achieve 5 nines and will be pushing the team to design to get there.
Our toolchain involves Java Play Framework applications, HAProxy, NGINX, Jenkins, Puppet, Consul.io, Terraform and Fabric. We are moving our infrastructure from physical hardware to EC2 over the coming months and intend to move toward a continuous deployment system as well.
- Deploy, monitor, and administer a high profile website and its underlying critical services
- Develop innovative solutions to large-scale data transfer challenges
- Improve the performance of our web applications and solve scaling issues
- Develop automation and improvements to our deployment, monitoring, and testing processes
- Serve on our on-call rotation with other engineers on the team
- Extensive experience supporting public facing web applications in either the Java or LAMP stacks
- Proficient in Python, Ruby or Go and some familiarity with Java
- Expertise in modern deploy and release processes (e.g. agile; continuous integration; git; code reviews)
- Proficient in using command line tools to quickly summarize, triage, and fix production issues: (e.g. lsof, awk, netstat, find, etc)
- Experience with monitoring technologies (e.g. daemontools, Nagios, Ganglia)
- Deep understanding of all things "web" -- HTTP, HTTP2, CDN, HTML, DNS, etc.
- Willing to serve as part of an on-call rotation
- Bachelor's Degree in CS, EE or related field desired, or equivalent experience
- Experience running applications on AWS
- Experience developing web applications
- An opinion on REST vs RPC
Quantcast helps create a more personalized digital world. We have built one of the world’s most sophisticated data-intelligence platforms, utilizing big data and machine learning to solve the biggest challenges in marketing and create more rewarding experiences across the digital landscape. Publishers use our insights to better understand audiences and how content resonates with consumers they want to attract and retain. Marketers utilize our understanding of online behavior and our predictive advertising capabilities to reach the customers likeliest to engage with their messages. Consumers see the results of our work in relevant stories and advertisements that create a personalized experience across all of their devices.
Quantcast was honored as a Glassdoor Best Place to Work in 2015 & 2016. To learn more, follow Quantcast on Glassdoor.
Back to top