The Web Core team owns quantcast.com and keeps it running smoothly for the 1M+ visitors it gets every month. We also develop and maintain the shared application infrastructure used by other teams within the organization to develop externally facing applications. Some of these tools include authentication, authorization, navigation panels, load balancing, A/B infrastructure, deployment services as well as supporting our Wordpress marketing site.
As our ideal candidate for this role, you will have significant experience testing and maintaining mission-critical web applications. You will be adept at finding bottlenecks, analyzing performance, tuning alerts, identifying single points of failure and deploying software in a zero downtime manner. You will know how to achieve 5 nines and will be pushing the team to design to get there.
Our toolchain involves Java Play Framework applications, HAProxy, NGINX, Jenkins, Puppet, Consul.io, Terraform and Fabric. We are moving our infrastructure from physical hardware to EC2 over the coming months and intend to move toward a continuous deployment system as well.
- Deploy, monitor, and administer a high profile website and its underlying critical services
- Develop innovative solutions to large-scale data transfer challenges
- Improve the performance of our web applications and solve scaling issues
- Develop automation and improvements to our deployment, monitoring, and testing processes
- Serve on our on-call rotation with other engineers on the team
- Extensive experience supporting public facing web applications in either the Java or LAMP stacks
- Proficient in Python, Ruby or Go and some familiarity with Java
- Expertise in modern deploy and release processes (e.g. agile; continuous integration; git; code reviews)
- Proficient in using command line tools to quickly summarize, triage, and fix production issues: (e.g. lsof, awk, netstat, find, etc)
- Experience with monitoring technologies (e.g. daemontools, Nagios, Ganglia)
- Deep understanding of all things "web" -- HTTP, HTTP2, CDN, HTML, DNS, etc.
- Willing to serve as part of an on-call rotation
- Bachelor's Degree in CS, EE or related field desired, or equivalent experience
- Experience running applications on AWS
- Experience developing web applications
- An opinion on REST vs RPC
Quantcast is a fast-growing, late-stage, pre-IPO startup headquartered in San Francisco with offices around the world. We are committed to creating an inclusive and diverse environment where everyone can confidently be their authentic self.