Senior Engineering Manager, London Modeling
Quantcast is an organization that lives and breathes data. Data is used in every aspect of our business, driving everything from our audience measurement service, to our real time bidding and ad personalization, and even corporate operations.
We are looking for a seasoned hands-on data science manager focused on performance targeting and optimization to join a growing team of scientists and engineers in London. This team is responsible for building the online advertising prediction and control systems that power Quantcast. This means getting up-close and personal with cutting edge statistical models and machine learning techniques while you serve as mentor, manager, and joint architect for the systems and processes built by the team. Your team is responsible for shipping production code to meet the demands of the business, so this is not a purely theoretical position and a solid background in software engineering is desired. You’ll have the opportunity to work with our real-time systems that process over 2 million events per second, a distributed compute cluster that processes 30 petabytes of data per day, and a training pipeline that builds tens of thousands of models daily.
- Make an impact. Quantcast performs world-class data modeling and engineering of realtime systems with a relatively small engineering team. Data science is the backbone of Quantcast; your impact will be much greater here than at a large company.
- Thrive in a full Big Data ecosystem. Quantcast has invested heavily in its compute infrastructure and has vast amounts of data to aid in decisioning. Almost the entire platform has been built or extended in-house to achieve our rigorous computational needs, with many systems returned to the open source community.
- Make a name for yourself. We publicize our work through open-source projects, blog posts and papers, and we work with amazing advisors, like Trevor Hastie and Jerome Friedman.
- Great timing. We are a fast growing pre-IPO technocracy.
- Manage several projects, including prediction and control systems that are designed to efficiently drive sales and engagements for our clients.
- Lead, don’t follow. Drive innovation and contribute to intellectual property. Identify and propose new systems and techniques that bring business value. Everybody codes and participates.
- Hire and manage a growing team of 10+ engineers and scientists of all seniority levels.
- Advise other data science teams and projects in London and globally.
- Ensure that the team is focused on commercially relevant projects, that the pace of innovation is rigorous, and that we meet stringent design, performance and robust quality standards.
- Interface with other teams and leaders in Engineering, Product Management, and Business Operations.
- Prior experience managing machine learning engineers and scientists with production delivery requirements.
- Strong academic credentials (e.g. PhD in machine learning from a top school, history of presenting at conferences and being published, etc.).
- Expertise in one or more machine learning areas (e.g. classification, control theory, optimization, clustering, recommendation systems).
- Proven ability to translate business and commercial needs into technical solutions.
- Demonstrated fluency as a software engineer in Java, C++ or similar, with an understanding of system performance, scalability and reliability for online and offline applications.
- Experience building complex machine learning models over large datasets, especially in the advertising or behavioral targeting sectors.
- Proficient in using data mining tools such as map/reduce, R, SQL, MatLab, etc.
Quantcast helps create a more personalized digital world. We have built one of the world's most sophisticated data-intelligence platforms, using big data and machine learning to solve the biggest challenges in marketing and create more rewarding experiences across the digital landscape. Publishers use our insights to better understand audiences and how content resonates with consumers they want to attract and retain. Marketers use our understanding of online behavior and our predictive advertising capabilities to reach the customers likeliest to engage with their messages. Consumers see the results of our work in relevant stories and advertisements that create a personalized experience across all of their devices.
Join the London team at Quantcast and become part of a global company, honored as a Glassdoor Best Place to Work in 2016. Besides its great location, breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks are provided daily (and beer provided Friday afternoons!). To learn more, follow Quantcast on Glassdoor.
Back to top