Technical Director, Amplifiers
QSC is a world leader in the design and manufacture of innovative Audio and Video products for multiple markets including Cinema, Live Sound, and Installed Systems. We are seeking a talented and motivated technical Director, Amplifiers to join our growing engineering team in sunny Costa Mesa, California.
The Technical Director, Amplifiers is the top technical member of the Amplifier group. They work closely with the other cross-functional members of the group, (e.g. Product Management, Program Management, Manufacturing, Supply Chain, NPI, etc.) to plan and execute the amplifier product roadmap for QSC.
The Technical Director, Amplifiers is accountable for all technical aspects of the large and growing amplifier product line. They have dotted line management of shared resources from functional departments including Electrical HW, Mechanical, Signal Processing, and Software. The Technical Director, Amplifiers will also contribute in a hands-on manner to the product design, architecture, and implementation.
The role includes overseeing and managing QSC's development partners working on amp design projects at global sites, in addition to projects based at our Costa Mesa headquarters. This requires someone with excellent leadership and communication skills, and the drive to grow and develop remote teams.
The Technical Director, Amplifiers position is a senior-level position that reports directly to the VP R&D. The successful candidate will bring both technical and business understanding, as well as excellent team and interpersonal skills. In return, the role offers the opportunity to architect and shape the future of audio amplifiers.
Education and Experience:
- B.S. degree in Electrical Engineering from an accredited university. Advanced degree preferred.
- Minimum of 5 years of experience designing, building, and testing high power audio amplifiers and related subsystems (e.g. on-board DSP HW, PSUs, microcontrollers, etc.) for commercial or professional markets.
- Minimum of 3 years of experience working with offshore design partners and contract manufacturers.
- Senior-level knowledge of amplifier circuit architecture and topologies including Class D and Class A/AB/B/H.
- Deep experience with linear and switched-mode power supplies, high current power semiconductor devices (e.g. MOSFETs), and related magnetic components (e.g. transformers, inductors, etc.).
- Knowledge of regulatory compliance requirements and test methods including UL, FCC, CE, and others as appropriate.
- Skilled at computer-based electronic design, layout, and simulation (e.g. Cadence, Spice, etc.).
- Proficiency with electronics test and measurement tools (Oscilloscopes, Audio Precision T&M, etc.).
- Experience creating cost effective solutions that meet aggressive product feature, cost, quality, performance, and time to market requirements.
- Excellent interpersonal and teamwork skills.
- Exceptional analytical and creative problem solving capabilities.
- Excellent English language communication skills, both written and oral.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Leads and represents all Engineering aspects within a cross-functional product development team.
- Creates and evangelizes technical solutions that best satisfy the technical, financial, manufacturability, quality, and time to market constraints and requirements.
- Develops and conducts analysis of power amplifier components and systems.
- Works closely with offshore design partners and contract manufacturers.
- Utilizes highly effective interpersonal skills to build and grow relationships with third party providers.
- Ability and desire to travel to and work in China and other countries 10% of the time.
Meet Some of QSC, LLC's Employees
Tradeshow & Project Manager, Systems
Siobhan runs Marketing Team projects from initial concept to final delivery for QSC's Systems business unit. She sees that QSC’s people have a good time getting things done.
Back to top