Director, Hardware Engineering
The Director of Hardware Engineering is one of the top members of the QSC Product Development team. They lead and manage the teams responsible for design and development of all electrical hardware aspects of QSC's products. In addition, the Director of Hardware Engineering may also serve at times as architect, engineer, and designer for a few high profile, select projects.
This position requires someone who possesses excellent leadership skills in addition to strong technical skills. As a leader and manager, the Director of Hardware Engineering is responsible for ensuring that all project work is scheduled and completed on time, within budget, and to QSC's demanding quality standards. Tasks include managing staff at all seniority levels, facilitating cross-functional teams to achieve the best designs possible, balancing competing needs and priorities, and working collaboratively with other department leaders.
As an expert technical contributor, the Director of Hardware Engineering is accountable for driving innovation and invention, overseeing all technical work, setting and maintaining design standards, introducing and incorporating the latest design methods and tools, improving internal and external design practices, and keeping our technology at the forefront of the industry.
The Director of Hardware Engineering is part of a tightknit, focused, Product Development team that includes staff from Software Engineering, Acoustic Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Program Management, Product Management, NPI, Supply Chain, and Sales and Marketing. This larger team moves quickly, and requires someone who can factor different points of view, make good decisions, balance the many demands of the role, and deliver the highest-value products on schedule and within budget.
This is an ideal position for an accomplished Senior Manager or Director who is ready to take their career to the next level. QSC employees make a difference and continuously create innovative and exciting new products heard and seen by literally millions of people every day. If you love Hardware Engineering and you have been waiting for the right opportunity to make your mark with one of the best audio, cinema, and A/V technology companies in the world, we want to talk with you!
Education and Experience:
- B.S. degree in Electrical Engineering. M.S. degree preferred.
- Minimum of 10 years of experience as an Electrical Engineer.
- Minimum of 6 years of experience managing electrical engineering teams of eight persons or more.
- Proficiency in Cadence.
- Experience creating cost effective solutions that meet aggressive product feature, cost, quality, performance, and time to market requirements.
- Senior-level knowledge of Electrical Engineering. Skilled at computer-based design and simulation.
- Experience working with offshore ODMs, JDMs, and CMs.
- Experience supporting complete product solutions from cradle to grave.
- A "go-getter" - an intrinsic ability to get things done and deliver winning products.
- Superior problem solving skills: issue identification, problem structuring, analysis, and development of recommendations.
- Ability to work well with all levels of internal management and staff, as well as outside diverse suppliers and CMs.
- Focus and emphasis on teamwork to achieve results.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Strong leadership skills.
- Good English language communication skills, both written and oral.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Leads all design and development activities within the Hardware Engineering teams located at multiple sites including Costa Mesa (Headquarters), Boulder, CO, and San Luis Obispo, CA.
- Partners with other Engineering department heads and other senior leaders in the Mechanical, Acoustic, and Software departments to create innovative new products for multiple markets.
- Integrates innovative technical solutions to best satisfy market constraints and requirements including feature-sets, performance, cost, manufacturability, quality, and time to market.
- Schedules work and activities for all department staff. Plans top-down design schedules and resource plans with cross-functional product development team to meet Hardware Engineering resource requests
- Oversees recruiting and hiring activities across all of the electrical engineering domains – power, digital, mixed signal, video, PCB, etc.
- Develops, maintains, and champions tool chains and internal processes for product development (ECAD, Simulation, Test, Qualification, etc.)
- Develops and maintains hardware vendor relations.
- Develops and maintaining internal documentation (SharePoint sites etc.)
- Coordinates with cross-functional Product Development teams to meet all Hardware Engineering resource requests.
- Utilizes highly effective interpersonal skills to build and grow relationships with both internal team members and third party providers.
- Interfaces with all levels of management to communicate technical proposals, risks, tradeoffs, solutions, and business issues.
- Travels to China and other ODM & CM countries supporting prototype and pilot builds as required.
Meet Some of QSC, LLC's Employees
Tradeshow & Project Manager, Systems
Siobhan runs Marketing Team projects from initial concept to final delivery for QSC's Systems business unit. She sees that QSC’s people have a good time getting things done.
Back to top