Job Photo Studio Art Director
With a history going back over 130 years, PVH has excelled at growing brands and businesses with rich American heritages, becoming one of the largest global apparel companies. We have over 30,000 associates operating in over 40 countries with over $8 billion in revenues. We own the iconic Calvin Klein, Tommy Hilfiger, Van Heusen, IZOD, ARROW, Speedo*, Warner's and Olga brands and market a variety of goods under these and other nationally and internationally known owned and licensed brands.
PVH Europe is home to the global headquarters of Tommy Hilfiger and the European offices of Calvin Klein. The company is founded on a dynamic and fast-paced work environment that's fueled by passion, creativity and an entrepreneurial spirit.
Tommy Hilfiger is one of the world's leading designer lifestyle brands, internationally recognized for celebrating the essence of "classic American cool" style. Founded in 1985, Tommy Hilfiger delivers premium styling, quality and value to consumers worldwide with a breadth of collections including Hilfiger Collection, Tommy Hilfiger Tailored, men's, women's and kids' sportswear, Tommy Hilfiger Denim, accessories, and footwear. In addition, the brand is licensed for a range of products, including fragrances, eyewear, watches and home furnishings. Tommy Hilfiger, which was acquired by PVH Corp. in 2010, has more than 17,000 associates worldwide and an extensive distribution network in over 115 countries and 1,600 retail stores. Global retail sales of the Tommy Hilfiger brand were US $6.5 billion in 2015.
Calvin Klein is a global lifestyle brand that exemplifies bold, progressive ideals and a seductive, and often minimal, aesthetic. We seek to thrill and inspire our audience while using provocative imagery and striking designs to ignite the senses.
Founded in 1968 by Calvin Klein and his business partner Barry Schwartz, we have built our reputation as a leader in American fashion through our clean aesthetic and innovative designs. Global retail sales of Calvin Klein products exceed $8 billion in 2015 and were distributed in [over] 110 countries. Calvin Klein employs over 10,000 associates globally. In 2003, we were acquired by PVH Corp., one of the largest apparel companies in the world.
- The Speedo brand is licensed for North America and the Caribbean in perpetuity from Speedo International Limited.
You'll take full responsibility for creating commercial imagery, working together with in-house creative and production teams, freelancers and external vendors, to efficiently deliver thousands of fashion and product photographs every season.
[Services may expand in future to include video and CGI production].
Overall responsibility for the creation and the delivery of digital assets - from concepting photography and lighting directions, choosing brand appropriate models to styling looks, art directing shoots and overseeing image selection and quality of final output. You'll manage the right balance between creative and operational imperatives to meet our business needs.
You'll be adept at creating contingency plans and reacting quickly to changing priorities.
You'll build strong relationships within the team, across all areas of the business, external vendors and production partners. You'll enjoying the challenge of coming up with solutions – regardless of restrictions and limitations and motivating the Studio teams to deliver great results.
The role is all about figuring out how to make the impossible, possible.
- Work closely with merchandising and marketing leaders to further develop and update Global Imaging Guidelines for all our commercial photography, Identifying areas for improvement and implement changes
- Working independently on projects or collaborating with the wider creative teams to articulate the creative vision through imagery from brainstorming ideas, referencing competitors, researching industry/trend standards and developing photo concepts from briefing to mood boards and test shoots
- Creating and delivering presentations and layouts to the highest standards and successfully presenting ideas to peers and senior management in order to influence business and creative decisions
- Liaising with the wider Marketing team and key stakeholders within the business to ensure commercial content is used effectively
- Embrace performance data and develop future photographic directions/shoot guidelines based on these valuable insights
- Maintaining the overall look, style and feel of each brand as you elevate the execution of the photography and provide vision and direction for the creative and production teams
- Continually push beyond the boundaries of traditional e-commerce and product photography and videography ie moving away from only shooting quantity towards more creative photography
- Consistently source talent that meets our brand standards and regularly scouting for new industry talent and updating and keeping the library of approved models current.
- Working with producers on elements of creative production that may include casting models, sourcing and hiring photographers and stylists, hair and make-up artists, scouting locations and more
- Oversee styling direction to ensure products are presented on-brand but also aligned with current trends
- Establish and nurture existing relationships with photographers and creative partners and clearly communicate your vision. Providing guidance, feedback and presenting creative solutions. Leverage external relationships in order to bring the most exceptional freelancers and vendors to projects as needed.
- Working together with UX/UI teams to continually evolve photography formats for our E-commerce sites
Shoot Art Direction
- On-set art direction for photography and video, bringing our brands to life for on-model and still-life product shoots
- Collaborating with the other Art Directors incl freelancers to ensure imagery is fashionable, consistent with shoot and brand guidelines and shot to the highest standards, including technical specifications
- Conceptualize and preparing for upcoming shoots
- Oversee styling of product for e-commerce photography
- Assist in the development of photo/video briefs/mood boards and communicate to Studio teams
- Ensure set is well-lit, images are correctly exposed and color is consistent
- Responsibility for the overall mood and feel of the product shots incl styling direction for still-life/product imagery
- Directing models on set incl posing and facial expressions
- Drive decisive on-set trouble shooting to solve photography challenges
- Image selection, mark-up retouching, image croppings, color matching, review and approval final images.
- Ensure every product is shown to its best advantage to avoid re-shooting
- Final arbiter for the Studio teams and overall responsible for the work that goes out of the Studio
- Driving a culture of continuous improvement to deliver best-in-class content and assets to the global organization. You'll seek to find the right balance between creative and operational imperatives to meet business needs
- Represent each product as accurately as possible to ensure what our customers receive is the same as what they've seen
- Ensuring quality control for consistently beautiful images, ensuring that all products are lit correctly, efficiently and creatively, in accordance with the guidelines and color accuracy matching to samples/fabric swatches, TCX Pantone references
- Working closely with production teams, ensuring you're meeting rigorous timelines and being flexible enough to adapt to altering (and often competing) priorities
- Continuously assessing workflow and continuing to develop and refine creative processes to improve the way we work and be as efficient as possible. Implementing improvements and ensuring team's processes are productive and efficient
- You'll collaborate and share best practices with your peers, helping to define and measure operational metrics and standardize ways of working to optimize Studio capabilities, productivity and efficiencies
- Seeking to continually push the boundaries of quality, creativity and innovation ie discourage complacency and 'factory' mentality
- Ensuring final deliverables are on time and within budget
- Provide information, support and updates to the Producers and other stakeholders/key members
- Attend and participate in pre-production and project related meetings as necessary
- Working together with Producer teams for short and long-term planning to ensure shoot teams are appropriately resourced to deliver, including additional Art Director support where needed, taking into consideration seasonal peaks and vacation cover
- Being the point of contact for all freelancers with regards to studio set-up and creative direction
Finance and Reporting
- Being respectful of photo shoot costs and annual budgets
- Complete daily/weekly timesheets in a timely manner
Meet Some of PVH's Employees
Historian & Heritage Brands Archivist, PVH
Suzanne helps preserve—and share—the company’s rich history by navigating offsite archives, conducting group tours, and writing about the brand’s evolution. She also contributed to building PVH's digital archives platform.
Back to top