Job IP Legal Counsel
With a history going back over 130 years, PVH has excelled at growing brands and businesses with rich American heritages, becoming one of the largest global apparel companies. We have over 30,000 associates operating in over 40 countries with over $8 billion in revenues. We own the iconic Calvin Klein, Tommy Hilfiger, Van Heusen, IZOD, ARROW, Speedo*, Warner's and Olga brands and market a variety of goods under these and other nationally and internationally known owned and licensed brands.
PVH Europe is home to the global headquarters of Tommy Hilfiger and the European offices of Calvin Klein. The company is founded on a dynamic and fast-paced work environment that's fueled by passion, creativity and an entrepreneurial spirit.
Tommy Hilfiger is one of the world's leading designer lifestyle brands, internationally recognized for celebrating the essence of "classic American cool" style. Founded in 1985, Tommy Hilfiger delivers premium styling, quality and value to consumers worldwide with a breadth of collections including Hilfiger Collection, Tommy Hilfiger Tailored, men's, women's and kids' sportswear, Tommy Hilfiger Denim, accessories, and footwear. In addition, the brand is licensed for a range of products, including fragrances, eyewear, watches and home furnishings. Tommy Hilfiger, which was acquired by PVH Corp. in 2010, has more than 17,000 associates worldwide and an extensive distribution network in over 115 countries and 1,600 retail stores. Global retail sales of the Tommy Hilfiger brand were US $6.5 billion in 2015.
Calvin Klein is a global lifestyle brand that exemplifies bold, progressive ideals and a seductive, and often minimal, aesthetic. We seek to thrill and inspire our audience while using provocative imagery and striking designs to ignite the senses.
Founded in 1968 by Calvin Klein and his business partner Barry Schwartz, we have built our reputation as a leader in American fashion through our clean aesthetic and innovative designs. Global retail sales of Calvin Klein products exceed $8 billion in 2015 and were distributed in [over] 110 countries. Calvin Klein employs over 10,000 associates globally. In 2003, we were acquired by PVH Corp., one of the largest apparel companies in the world.
- The Speedo brand is licensed for North America and the Caribbean in perpetuity from Speedo International Limited.
The PVH Europe Legal Department is based in the PVH Europe headquarters in Amsterdam. The Legal Department consists mainly of two sub-teams: IP & Brand Protection and Corporate & Commercial. For brand protection the department acts as the first point of contact for Tommy Hilfiger worldwide and for Calvin Klein in Europe. Intellectual property matters relate to trademark infringements, trademark clearance and licensing and co-branding. The contractual and corporate matters relate to distribution, supply chain, real estate, retail and e-commerce, IT, compliance, privacy, M&A, anti-trust, marketing, promotions and licensing, all for the EMEA+ region.
The Legal Counsel IP will join an international, dynamic close-knit Legal team. The legal team currently consists of 18 people and is headed up by the VP legal affairs. The IP team (presently two in-house legal counsels) and the Brand Protection team (presently consisting of four team members with different back ground) are part of the Legal team. We work with a "yes we can" mentality, embracing the challenge of being a business oriented partner always aiming at finding legally sound solutions to make the impossible possible. We are passionnate about we are doing and deliver high quality services, always with the smile and always having fun. Work hard, play hard is our mindset. We help each other, we respect each other. If you feel this is what you are looking for, please apply to join us!
In a nutshell, the Legal Counsel IP will be involved in a wide range of IP related cases/topics such as:
- Drafting IP contracts such as trademark licence agreements, deed of assignement and co-existence agreements,
- Reviewing advertising, marketing, sales, and other promotional materials for proper trademark use;
- Bringing awareness to the business as to the importance of protecting intellectual property assets;
- Assistance in IP litigation matters with a focus on trademarks, design and copyright - this implies liaising with and supporting Tommy Hilfiger IP attorneys to define the best strategy to preserve Tommy Hilfiger interests,
We expect from our team members to have a flexible mindset to take up other responsibilities depending on the work load of the rest of the Legal team. It is therefore also possible that we ask the Legal Counsel IP's help for trademark availability searches or trademark prosecution work for example.
- At least 4+ years' experience in IP in private practice or as an IP in-house legal counsel; experience in an FM6G company is not a must but definitively a plus.
- Strong experience in handling IP contracts and litigation,
- Fluent level in English, both spoken and written required;
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, and organizational skills, eye for details, structured mind set and accurate;
- International mindset/feeling comfortable in an international environment is required;
- Strong problem-solving ability;
- Proactive, hands-on approach and self-starting;
- Strong ability to express thoughts verbally and in writing clearly, concisely and persuasively;
- Flexibility and motivation to go the "extra mile";
- Team player and willingness to grow with company, ability not to take yourself too seriously.
Agency and Third Party Recruiter Notice:
Agencies that submit a resume to PVH must have a current PVH Agency Agreement executed by a member of the Human Resource/Talent Acquisition Department. In addition agencies may only submit candidates to positions for which they have been invited to do so by one of our Talent Acquisition Specialists or Managers. All unsolicited resumes sent to us will be considered property of PVH. PVH will not be held liable to pay a placement fee.
Meet Some of PVH's Employees
Director of Production & Content, PVH
Nicholas and his team continually develop innovative projects to shine a spotlight on and grow PVH’s large portfolio of brands.
Back to top