Vice President, WW Systems Engineering (Sales)
Pure Storage was founded with the ambitious goal of revolutionizing the computing infrastructure industry. Today we are building the data platform for the cloud era and we’ve accomplished the first step towards that goal by bringing to market the simplest and most reliable all-flash storage array in history. The full potential impact of our line of "Smart Storage" products is only beginning to be felt as customers discover the benefits and exciting applications that can be built on top of a Pure system.
For three straight years, Gartner has named Pure a leader in the Magic Quadrant for Solid-State Arrays. According to IDC, Pure has become a Top 10 data storage vendors faster than any other company in history. We continue to take market share, while achieving record-setting customer satisfaction scores for the enterprise technology industry. For more information, check out our corporate fact sheet here.
Topping the Bay Area’s Best Places to Work lists for 5 years running, we’ve built a team that has rich and diverse set of experiences and backgrounds. Puritans have a passion for innovation, creativity, customer success, transparency, teamwork and fun. We’re looking for talented people to join us on the journey.
System Engineering at Pure
As WW VP of System Engineering you will be an inspirational thought leader, with an emphasis on possessing broad industry technology knowledge, executive sales experience and a ‘Customer First’ mentality.
You are expected to be the SE leadership advocate, firstly leading from the front through engaging as an industry, and publicly visible influential thought leader, and directly helping to pivot key relationships in our G2000 Accounts, as well as a technical executive influencer through our pathways to market, primarily GSI, SPs and Enterprise VARS. Secondly, as the Executive responsible for the ‘technical voice of the field organization’, influence strategic decisions on Sales Go To Market, Product Management and Marketing and the long term vision within the office of the CTO.
Pure’s culture is proving to be a powerful differentiator in the market, and a magnet in attracting the unique top 1% talent from a diverse set of technology segments and companies. As the leader of the SE organization, you are expected to be connected to the hearts and minds of the Pure SE community, noisy, visible, leading from the front, inspiring and motivational, and to foster an environment that the Pure SE Community can thrive and develop during the key years of growth that lie ahead.
You will have the following key attributes:
- A Customer First mentality and focus with a passion to improve our customer’s business through Pure’s unique technology and business value.
- Strong Sales biased, competitive high energy personality who is able to drive value and influence business at all levels of the Sales organization. Strong empathy with Pure and Partner Sales Executives is regarded as an essential success factor.
- You will have had exposure to working internationally, ideally with some prior experience in EMEA and APJ, although it is not essential to have run an international organization or spent time internationally as an ex pat.
- Ideally, you will have been exposed to strategic planning and organizational development initiatives and being a confident leader in driving organizational change to meet the growth needs of the business.
What you will be doing
- Foster an open, transparent and collaborative leadership culture within your direct reports, build a strong and cohesive leadership team with a focus on execution towards functional objectives and support of all Pure cross functional requirements.
- Define the key SE relevant messages for annual, and bi-annual Sales Kick Off events. Following through with key note leadership public speaking and messaging at key Pure leadership All hands, SKO and other events deemed necessary.
- Executive leadership through the annual Fiscal Planning process, allying an SE Functional Plan For Success (Functional objectives & initiatives) which meets the Corporate and Sales Strategic objectives. Accountable for fiscal and head count objectives within an OPEX based pre sales operating plan.
- Build, evolve and adapt a Functional Dashboard to measure the annual Plan For Success. Hold quarterly leadership business reviews and course correct against leading business indicators.
- Co-author an SE employee development, retention and rewards and recognition plan together with the SE and HR Leadership team. Drive accountability and measurement of the employee plan.
- Manage a quarterly cadence of communications and meetings which are in sync with the Sales Field Management Process.
- Specifically focus on Channel SE Programs allied to Channel strategic programs and Go To Market. Ensure Channel technical enablement is transparent and visible, with an inherent objective of making Pure the #1 Channel partner, Channel SE enablement, productivity and independence.
- Lead a quarterly WW Field Communications plan, which ensures regular SE leadership connection and touch points with the whole SE Community.
- Manage key Corporate Executive Stakeholders with a suitable cadence of engagement, including but not limited to Engineering, Product Management, Product Marketing, Channel, PureIQ, IT, Marketing, Support, HR, Finance and Legal.
- Drive appropriate investment in SE Operations to ensure:
- Development of SE Field tools to constantly drive SE Productivity
- SE Management Dashboards
- Liaison and collaboration to constantly develop and enhance SE Learning and Development.
- Foster and institute a culture of nature and development of the individual SE learning needs.
- Establish clear requirements with Pure Solutions Engineering for Pure labs, remote demonstrations, solutions engineering and SE enablement to drive adoption of Solutions in the field.
- Bi Annual attendance at quarterly EMEA and APJ QBR’s, including executive sponsorship of key accounts and partner relationships where required internationally.
What you bring to the table
- University Bachelor Degree or equivalent related experience, preferably in the field of Computer Science.
- Exposure to management and executive development training programs, or ideally MBA related studies specifically in the area of Strategic Planning and Organizational Development.
- Rapid career development at a leading technology company leading to a VP level appointment, with a demonstrable success track record of leading a high performing pre-sales organization.
No Storage? No Problem.
We look for talent and culture first, specific technologies second, so once you decide Pure is the right place for you, we will match you with the right project to start with. Plus, we like people to have the ability to do different things and be constantly learning, so we encourage our engineers to move around to different teams and project across the company.
Pure creates opportunities for individual development and career growth.
We offer a six-month leadership development program for current employees looking to advance within the company, as well as sales and technical training programs for interns and recent graduates. We also host monthly workshops and panels that focus on a variety of topics ranging from honing the skills needed for career advancement to learning how to choose a mentor.
Pure offers an unlimited vacation policy, free lunches, meditation rooms, and free yoga classes, to encourage all of our employees to maintain mind and body wellness. In addition, we support a diverse and inclusive environment through Pure Equality and our Employee Resource Groups. We also offer numerous volunteer opportunities for employees to give back not only to the Bay Area, but across the globe, through the Pure Good Foundation.
Meet Some of Pure Storage's Employees
Technical Lead, Engineering Operations
Chris oversees the productivity and efficiency of the Engineering, Release, and Q&A Teams in order to ensure the company delivers the highest quality products in the shortest time period possible.
Back to top