Director, Strategic Events
Pure Storage was founded with the ambitious goal of revolutionizing the computing infrastructure industry. Today we are building the data platform for the cloud era and we’ve accomplished the first step towards that goal by bringing to market the simplest and most reliable all-flash storage array in history. The full potential impact of our line of "Smart Storage" products is only beginning to be felt as customers discover the benefits and exciting applications that can be built on top of a Pure system.
For 4 straight years, Gartner has named Pure a leader in the Magic Quadrant for Solid-State Arrays. According to IDC, Pure has become a Top 10 data storage vendors faster than any other company in history. We continue to take market share, while achieving record-setting customer satisfaction scores for the enterprise technology industry. For more information, check out our corporate fact sheet here.
Topping the Bay Area’s Best Places to Work lists for 5 years running, we’ve built a team that has rich and diverse set of experiences and backgrounds. Puritans have a passion for innovation, creativity, customer success, transparency, teamwork and fun. We’re looking for talented people to join us on the journey.
Reporting to the VP of Engagement & Experience Marketing, the Director, Strategic Event Marketing is responsible for leading the overarching strategy, experience, operational execution, and ROI outcomes for Pure Storage strategic events. In this role, you lead a team of professionals and together will define and execute a strategic marketing approach for our annual user conference, major industry events, corporate sponsorships, core strategic programs such as advisory councils, and Pure Executive Briefing Centers.
This person will work with cross-functional leaders, including product marketing, integrated marketing, brand, social, web, and other stakeholders/contributors to strategically bring excitement, innovation and excellence to our events in order to amplify Pure’s marketing objectives. The ideal candidate will be a strategic thinker who understands the business and evolving priorities, and how they apply to events in ways that deliver strong ROI and delight attendees.
- Oversee the development, design and execution of all strategic events, including brand and creative journey elements, to drive highly innovative and immersive experiences that amplify Pure's positioning in creative ways while leveraging digital platforms and cross channels.
- Strategic events include annual user conference, major industry events/tradeshows (including in international markets), corporate sponsorships, core strategic programs such as customer advisory councils, and Pure Executive Briefing Centers.
- Oversee events measurement, including the design and operation of relevant dashboards to forecast, measure, analyze and report on impact of events
- Drive productive collaboration between the strategic events team and integrated/field marketing teams for event selection, integrated marketing planning, and best practice sharing.
- Communicate to and educate executive leadership regarding new and planned strategic events with a focus on collaboration and results orientation
- Lead event follow through with sales to ensure we are monitoring ROI/value of all our strategic event investments
- Oversee the selection of agencies/third party vendors
- For Pure//Accelerate, together with the Sr. Manager of Event Marketing:
- Determine 3-5 year strategy and attendee/sponsorship growth model including financial model/locations
- Define overarching event agenda, programs and experiences required to support strategy and overall attendee goals/experience
- Continue the evolution of personas, supporting attendee journeys and experience needs to ensure high satisfaction scores
- Provide leadership and insights into how to drive customer/prospect attendance growth through modern communications and promotions
- Leverage latest technology and industry leading capabilities to drive attendance, delight attendees and follow up post events
- Oversee strategy for live or on demand access to content
- Assess the financial performance of strategic events on business outcomes
- Personally own the strategy, planning and execution of select events/programs
- Responsible for coaching, performance management, and career development of staff
What You Bring To The Team
- 10-15+ years experience in enterprise marketing with at least 7-10 years in strategic events; Minimum of 3-5 years experience managing Customer/User Conferences of at least 1K attendees; Minimum 3-5 driving the strategy and success of corporate sponsorships; ideally 3-5 years experience with customer advisory boards
- Seasoned people manager with at least 5+ years of management experience
- Brings relentless and obsessive focus on the customer experience throughout the event journey, at every step; Continual innovation to think out of the box regarding the experiences and hyper focused on attention to detail
- Strong commitment to financial management of event planning and execution; Proven multi-million dollar event financial management with reporting, analysis and success metrics required
- Ability to challenge existing assumptions, to develop innovative strategies and solutions and execute new initiatives
- Strong, modern strategic marketing experience which goes beyond event operations and includes marketing communications, campaign development, event marketing and attendee experience
- Demonstrated leadership and success both within a growth company and running strategic events for a variety of audiences
- An ability to roll your sleeves up and build out the programs while also bringing strategic insights and framework to the event portfolio
- Demonstrated success in managing and negotiating with third-party vendors
- Exceptional communication and people/program management skills
- A team player that collaborates as standard practice, and operates successfully leading both their own team and virtual working teams
- Ability to deal with last-minute changes and deadlines while showing grace under pressure
- High energy, “can do” personality and ability to thrive in a growth environment
- Show desire to continually improve processes and think outside the box with creative approach to new projects.
- Bachelor of Science degree
No Storage? No Problem.
We look for talent and culture first, specific technologies second, so once you decide Pure is the right place for you, we will match you with the right project to start with. Plus, we like people to have the ability to do different things and be constantly learning, so we encourage our engineers to move around to different teams and project across the company.
Pure creates opportunities for individual development and career growth.
We offer a six-month leadership development program for current employees looking to advance within the company, as well as sales and technical training programs for interns and recent graduates. We also host monthly workshops and panels that focus on a variety of topics ranging from honing the skills needed for career advancement to learning how to choose a mentor.
Pure offers an unlimited vacation policy, free lunches, meditation rooms, free yoga classes and employee resource groups, such as Pure Equality and Pure Vets, to encourage all of our employees to maintain mind and body wellness. We offer numerous volunteer opportunities for employees to give back not only to the Bay Area, but across the globe.
Meet Some of Pure Storage's Employees
As part of Pure Storage’s UI Team, Colton and his peers handle all the different ways customers manage their storage, ensuring the company’s offering meets their needs.
Back to top