- Chicago, IL
About the role.
The Senior Underwriter is a key member of the Underwriting team reporting to the Regional Underwriting Manager. The primary goal of this position is to profitably grow a book of business by actively partnering with brokers and working effectively with colleagues throughout the organization. This person will plan and budget for the book of business, develop and maintain broker relationships, and execute underwriting decisions. Senior Underwriters are able to handle the large, complex accounts, and are expected to handle key relationships with a broker at the principle and PL manager level as well as drive business in the door through active engagement with COIs.
What you'll do.
- Business Management. Planning and budgeting for the book of business, tracking and reporting performance to plan, and developing a clear view of market conditions and competitive landscape.
- Broker Partnership. Development, maintenance and management of key broker partnerships; development of strategies and goals for brokers and tracking of progress; and positioning PURE within a broker partner, including:
- Deliver exceptional, timely, complete and accurate service to brokers
- Develop trusted, respected and lasting relationships with broker partners
- Work with brokers to craft best solutions for their clients
- Share knowledge and best practices with brokers
- Underwrite empathetically at all times
- Underwriting Execution. Responsible for new and renewal underwriting execution, including selecting risks in line with PURE's strategy and underwriting guidelines, operating within authority and documentation guidelines and following up on accounts and closing new business.
- Underwriting Referrals. Responsible for delivering excellent referral service to more junior Underwriters on the Underwriting team, and assisting in their development.
- Franchise Management. Command of their book of business and ability to clearly identify and address profitability and growth issues and implement effective profit improvement strategies with minimal outside support.
What we're looking for.
- Bachelor's Degree
- Minimum 7 years high net worth underwriting experience
- Demonstrated technical expertise and product specific knowledge
- Strong analytical skills
- Demonstrated proficiency in sales and marketing
- Strong interpersonal, communication and negotiation skills.
- Ability to effectively interact with all levels of internal and external business partners; including insurance brokers.
- Experience developing and executing on marketing plans and prospects
- Ability to be creative and adaptable in a changing business environment
- Sound, balanced and timely decision making skills
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite as well as other business-related software
Back to top