Regional Underwriting Manager, Excess & Surplus Lines
About the role.
The Regional Underwriting Manager is a key member of the PURE Programs Underwriting team and reports to the National Underwriting Manager. The primary goal of this position is to profitably grow a book of business by actively partnering with brokers, leading and developing an underwriting team, and working effectively with colleagues throughout the organization. The Regional Underwriting Manager is accountable for both the results of the brokers within their territory and the business written in the risk state. This person will plan and budget for the book of business, manage a team of underwriters, develop and maintain broker relationships, and be accountable for the quality of underwriting decisions and execution.
What you'll do.
- Business Management. Work closely with the Regional Sales leader and the National Underwriting Manager on planning and budgeting for the book of business, tracking and reporting performance to plan, and developing a clear view of market conditions and competitive landscape within the Region.
- Underwriter Leadership. Lead and manage an Underwriting team, handling referrals for authority and coaching and developing team members, managing travel and underwriting assignments and conducting monthly check-ins and annual reviews.
- Underwriting Execution. Responsible for the Regions new and renewal underwriting execution, including selecting and pricing risks in line with PURE Programs' strategy and underwriting guidelines, operating within authority and documentation guidelines, following up on accounts and closing new business. Conduct and report on quarterly self-audit and manage Underwriting Authorities of all team members. Manage aggregate limits and quote pipeline to specified limits.
- Broker Partnership. Develop, maintain and manage broker partnerships within the Region; development of strategies and goals for brokers and tracking of progress; and positioning PURE Programs within an agency, including:
- Deliver exceptional, timely, complete and accurate service to brokers
- Develop trusted, respected and lasting relationships with broker partners
- Work with brokers to craft best solutions for their clients
- Share knowledge and best practices with brokers
- Underwrite empathetically at all times
- Recruiting: Participate in the sourcing, interviewing and hiring process of new team members. You will be expected to hire and train a team of 5 underwriters in the first 12 months.
What we're looking for.
- A Bachelor's degree is required. Management experience required.
- Demonstrated progression of increasing responsibility.
- A minimum of 10 years underwriting experience is required with some marketing experience preferred.
- California brush underwriting experience.
- Demonstrated solid problem solving skills.
- Ability to demonstrate integrity, exhibit leadership skill and enthusiasm, and establish trust and credibility.
- Demonstrated ability to form effective and productive working relationships with independent insurance brokers.
Back to top