Director of Claims Learning & Development
- White Plains, NY
About the role.
The Director of Claims Learning and Development plays a critical role in educating and empowering employees to deliver an exceptional claim service that is in line with PURE's best practice guidelines. This role will create a center of excellence for training within the claims department. The Director of Claims L&D will help foster a learning culture within the department through design and delivery of effective, engaging learning programs that drive business outcomes. The position will report to the AVP of Performance Improvement and Operations (Claims) with a dotted line to the AVP L&D(HR).
What you'll do.
Training Best Practices and Governance
- Create a training framework that is engaging and effective in instilling new skills and knowledge to our adjusters for both new initiatives, as well as onboarding and continuous education. Help them understand not only the skills they require but why those skills are important.
- Design and develop comprehensive training materials and supplemental documents, included but not limited to instructor-led training courses, facilitator guides, training videos, quick reference cards, computer-based training, job aids, etc. that assures competency in the new processes or systems.
- Oversee all training development and execution by the Line of Business (LOB) trainers to ensure standards are met and we are providing a coherent and effective training experience for our staff.
- Support the professional development of the LOB trainers so they know how and when to use each technique and tool, to empower them to become more effective educators.
- Collaborate with department resource managers to engage them in supporting the learning of their employees through coaching, reinforcement, and accountability.
- Implement methods of measuring the effectiveness and participation of training and take action to improve effectiveness.
- Design a training needs analysis framework to identify gaps in knowledge and skills.
- Design and maintain a Learning Management System (LMS) that provides a single point of reference for all Claim specific training materials.
- Implement best practices for knowledge management within the department, utilizing technical tools like the company's LMS, Sharefile, etc.
- Work with the LOB trainers to design an onboarding experience for new hires that teaches staff what it means to be an adjuster at PURE, ensures they have the technical skills to successfully navigate our systems and processes and they understand PURE's claim handling best practices and procedures.
- Work closely with the hiring manager and LOB trainers to monitor performance of new hires and reinforce training and onboarding where there are gaps in knowledge and performance.
- Work with LOB trainers and the Audit manager and resource managers to analyze the monthly and bi-annual audit results to identify training opportunities and to develop training plans for individuals, teams and the department to drive measurable improvement in performance.
- Work with Strategy and Operations practice leaders as well as the LOB trainers to design continuous education programs for existing staff so they can deepen their competency within specific areas of claim handling
- Oversee the delivery of continuous education by third party vendors and internal PURE staff to ensure effectiveness
- Develop methods of measuring the impact of continuous education on key results.
- Build a repository of training materials for the department
- Collaborate closely with senior leaders and managers within the department to ensure they understand how their staff will be impacted by change and validate the training that is designed and delivered is in line with their expectations
- Coordinate the production of a regular newsletter to keep the claims department updated on key initiatives, welcoming new hires, highlighting promotions and educational achievements as well as birthdays and anniversaries. The newsletter will also be an opportunity to provide a staff perspective on recent changes and include messages from our CCO. It should be a fun and informative communication vehicle that highlights all that is going on in the claims department.
What we're looking for.
- Bachelor's degree required
- Learning and Development experience required; experience in a technical function highly preferred
- At least 5 years of professional experience required
- Ability to build credibility quickly and influence others to achieve results
- Personal commitment to continuous growth and development
- Ability to work well with leaders at all levels of the organization
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
Back to top