PulsePoint Data Engineering team plays a key role in our technology company that’s experiencing exponential growth. Our data pipeline processes over 45 billion impressions a day (> 18TB of data, 160 TB uncompressed). This data is used to generate reports, update budgets, and drive our optimization engines. We do all this while running against extremely tight SLAs and provide stats and reports as close to real-time as possible.
The most exciting part about working at PulsePoint is the enormous potential for personal and professional growth. We are always seeking new and better tools to help us meet challenges such as adopting proven open-source technologies to make our data infrastructure more nimble, scalable and robust. Some of the cutting edge technologies we have recently implemented are Kafka, Spark Streaming and Mesos.
As a Linux Administrator at PulsePoint, you'll support data infrastructure services, like Hadoop, RDBMS, Vertica, Kafka etc from installation and configuration to maintenance and curation. You will work closely with analysts, data scientists, and developers to make data processing transparent and provide data services that help drive and support business goals.
- Installation, upkeep, maintenance and monitoring of Kafka, Hadoop, Vertica, RDBMS
- Ingest, validate and process internal & third party data
- Create, maintain and monitor data flows in Hive, SQL and Vertica for consistency, accuracy and lag time
- Develop, maintain a framework for jobs(primarily aggregate jobs in Hive)
- Create different consumers for data in Kafka such as camus for Hadoop, flume for Vertica and Spark Streaming for near time aggregation
- Train Developers/Analysts on tools to pull data
- Tool evaluation/selection/implementation
- Backups/Retention/High Availability/Capacity Planning
- Disaster Recovery- We have all our core data services in another Data Center for complete business continuity
- Review/Approval - DDL for database, Hive Framework jobs and Spark Streaming to make sure it follows our standards
- 24*7 On call rotation for Production support
Technologies We Use:
- Chronos - for job scheduling
- Docker - Packaged container image with all dependencies
- Graphite/Beacon - for monitoring data flows
- Hive - SQL data warehouse layer for data in HDFS
- Impala- faster SQL layer on top of Hive
- Kafka- distributed commit log storage
- Marathon – cluster wide init for Docker Containers
- Mesos - Distributed cluster resource manager
- Spark Streaming - Near time aggregation
- SQL Server - Reliable OLTP RDBMS
- Sqoop - Import/Export data to RDBMS
- Vertica - fast parallel data warehouse
- 3+ years experience supporting critical applications on Linux operating system preferably Red Hat, including OS installation and upgrade, package management, volume management, security auditing, and performance tuning.
- Proficiency in at least one scripting language ( e.g. python, perl, ruby, scala) - ability to quickly put together a script to automate a task or parse text
- Familiarity with RDBMS, SQL;
- Familiarity with configuration management tools such as Ansible, Puppet or Chef.
- Passion for engineering and computer science around data - You must be self–driven, inquisitive and hungry to learn and improve.
- Willingness to participate in 24x7 on-call rotation
What you’ll get:
- Competitive Salary & 401K Plan Match
- Free Medical Insurance
- Generous paid vacation (we consider your birthday a holiday)
- Sabbatical at 5 years of employment
- Professional training and industry membership access
- Annual training stipend
- Annual Company Retreat
- Free team lunches twice a month
- Onsite fitness and yoga and company wellness program
- Team happy hours and beer-o-clock Fridays
- Awesome snacks: drink bar, coffee bar, ice cream bar, candy bar & fruit bar
- Indoor dart wars, and Ping-Pong Tournaments
Meet Some of PulsePoint's Employees
Business Analyst/Data Science
Susie analyses enormous data stacks—over 20 TB a day—in order to determine optimal adjustments for PulsePoint clients and consult on new campaign strategies.
Back to top