Manager, Data Science – Marketing Analytics
- Lakeland, FL
Are you interested in working for a Fortune 100 retailer? Do you want to be able to apply your analytical knowledge and experience to help solve constantly changing business and customer facing opportunities? As a Manager, Data Science on the Business Analytics and Data Science team you will be responsible for defining the vision and ensuring implementation of the suite of Data Science methodologies and models necessary to support the multi-year Data Science strategy. This individual will also support Publix with Marketing measurement, customer predictive models, units sales forecasting methodologies, A/B tests, and cloud analytics.
This position consults with business partners across the organization and manages a team of Data Science experts who provide research-based recommendations to support strategic decision needs across the enterprise as well as overseeing the logical design, development, testing, implementation, and maintenance of data management infrastructure, tools and technologies.
The Manager, Data Science position is also responsible for ensuring that all Data Science solutions and applications meet best practices defined by the incumbent. These solutions decide the audience segments that Publix needs to activate against, the buying behaviors and lifestyle characteristics associated with individuals within those segments and measures the statistically significant purchasing behavior change at the product hierarchy and customer segment level. This position serves as an organizational subject matter expert in the field of Data Science and advocates for the appropriate application of data science influenced decisions across the organization.
- defining the vision and implementation plan for the suite of Data Science solutions necessary to support the multi-year Marketing Analytics strategy
- developing research-based solutions and providing consultation regarding Data Science and the personalization of customer interfaces with Publix. Serving as an organizational subject matter expert and advocating for the appropriate application of data science influenced decisions across the organization
- ensuring that all Data Science Solutions and applications meet best practices defined by the incumbent
- leading and managing the Marketing Analytics Data Science team and indirectly supporting development of all Marketing Analytics associates
- managing supplier relationships, including leading assigned procurement efforts to secure new tools, data, or services to support Data Science activities
- dedicating time to marketing innovation and quality improvement
- managing special Marketing related assignments
Additional Required Qualifications:
Hours of Work:
45 hours per week minimum
Frequency of Pay:
Additional Preferred Qualifications:
Please be sure to monitor your email, including your spam folder, daily for communications you may receive during the recruiting and selection process for this position. Please do not use your Publix email address when applying.
Once your application has been successfully submitted you will receive a confirmation email.
3300 Publix Corporate Parkway
Potential Annual Pay with Bonus:
Salary is commensurate with experience.
Other Compensation Information:
Year End Bonus:
As a year-end bonus to associates, Publix issues one month's extra pay (pro-rated in the first year) each year if associate remains employed through issue date of the bonus check that year.This is calculated as a 13th month of pay in the Potential Annual Pay with Bonus line above.
- Master's degree in Data Science, Statistics, Mathematics, Economics, Finance, Engineering, Information Systems or related quantitative field from an accredited college or university or equivalent experience.
- 7 years of data science, analytics, marketing, finance, computer science, or similar analytics field work-related experience
- 1 year of indirect management experience
- 5 years' experience writing SQL
- 5 years' experience writing Python or similar functionality within other development languages and statistical tools
- R Studio and the R Coding Language, or ability to perform similar functions within similar statistical tools such as SPSS
- Python Coding
- Ability to create ETL (extract, transform, load) process and knowledge of ETL best practices
- Expert knowledge of SQL, Visual Basic, SQL Enterprise Manager and business intelligence tools
- Experience working with large data sets and distributed computing tools (Map/Reduce, Hadoop, Hive, Spark, Databricks, MySQL, etc.)
- Alteryx and the Alteryx Server or similar Business Intelligence (BI) Tools
- Tableau Desktop or similar data visualization tool
- Microsoft Excel
- Data Management Platforms (DMP)
- Leadership \u0026amp; management skills
- Expert knowledge of Data Science methodologies, tools, and data sets
- Ability to coach others in developing Data Science Solutions
- Knowledge of Machine Learning and foundational statistics concepts: linear/ logistic regression, random forest, boosting, classification, clustering, GBM, NNs, etc.
- Ability to persuade others using logical debate
- Knowledge of NoSQL (unstructured) databases, data lakes and formats including text, image, sentiment, and audio/video
- Knowledge of Big Data file systems and processing
- Data-driven problem-solving skills
- Excellent written and verbal skills
- Strong ability to be self-directed with minimal support from manager
- Ability to act in a professional manner
- Strong project management skills
- Willingness to travel up to one week at a time with overnight stays.
- Ability to work a variable work schedule as needed including nights, holidays, weekends, and extended hours to meet deadlines.
- Ph.D. degree in Data Science, Statistics, Neuroscience, Engineering, Organizational Science, Mathematics, or Physics.
- 10 years of relevant research related experience
- 3 years of indirect management experience
- 7 years' experience writing SQL
- Experience with distributed big data and cloud-based tools like AWS or Azure
- Data Science Certificate
Minimum 45 hours per week
- Employee stock ownership plan that contributes Publix stock to associates each year at no cost
- An opportunity to purchase additional shares of our privately-held stock
- 401(k) retirement savings plan
- Group health plan (with prescription benefits)
- Group dental plan
- Group vision plan
- Sick pay
- Long-term disability insurance
- Company-paid life insurance (with accidental death \u0026amp; dismemberment benefits)
- Tuition reimbursement
- Vacation pay
- Free hot lunches (buffet-style) at facilities with a cafeteria
- Paycheck direct deposit
- Credit union
- Access to over 50 discount offers including discounts on computer, vehicle and wireless purchases
- 6 paid holidays (associates can exchange the following holidays with their manager's approval: New Year's Day, Memorial Day, Fourth of July, and Labor Day).
Back to top