Vice President, Corporate Counsel
- Hartford, CT
The Prudential Retirement Legal Team is part of the US Business Law Group of Prudential's Law Department. We are seeking a highly talented, business savvy and experienced lawyer to join the legal team that supports the Retirement Business, including products offered through both the Full Service Solutions and Investment & Pension Solutions groups. This position can be located in Hartford, Connecticut or Roseland, New Jersey.
Prudential's Retirement Business provides investment products and services to defined contribution, defined benefit, and non-qualified plans through two principal areas:
- The Full Service Solutions group which manufactures market value investment products and provides recordkeeping services for Defined Contribution and Defined Benefit Plans; and
- Investment & Pension Solutions group which provides US pension and international longevity risk transfer solutions to domestic and global Defined Benefit plans, and manufactures stable value and other innovative products for Defined Contribution and other plans and institutions.
In addition, team members play an integral role in managing highly sophisticated outside counsel, as well as ensuring that the team interfaces effectively with other areas of Prudential's law department to best leverage the high-value internal resources available.
Candidates must have a law degree, be admitted to the bar in at least one US state and eligible for NJ in-house licensing.
Practice skills necessary for success include:
- Advising on the creation and monitoring of stable value and market-valued investment products in a way that anticipates and mitigates legal and regulatory risks.
- Knowledge of insurance laws, securities law exemptions and the aspects of ERISA that apply to retirement plans and products. Broker-dealer/FINRA expertise is a plus.
- The candidate must have an appetite for learning new legal disciplines, and the legal and business talent to find practical, risk-adjusted solutions to a business facing an evolving and increasingly challenging regulatory environment.
- Quickly gaining working knowledge of ERISA and of insurance regulatory requirements is critical to job success. Equally critical is an ability to constructively engage with internal clients and control partners to advise on business practices that are likely to withstand regulatory and litigation challenges.
- An ability to communicate complex legal and business concepts, both in writing and orally, in a clear and thoughtful manner is essential.
- Candidates with demonstrated leadership potential are preferred.
As a member of Prudential Retirement Law, the candidate can expect to practice in an environment that provides significant intellectual challenge and meaningful development opportunities. We are committed to delivering excellence in an atmosphere of engagement and collegiality.
Back to top