Underwriting Specialist - Specialty Risk
- Fort Washington, PA
For over 100 years, Prudential's diverse and talented employees have been committed to helping customers and their families grow and protect their wealth through a variety of products and services. We are known for delivering on our promises and are recognized as a trusted brand and one of the world's most admired companies.
Group Insurance is an operating unit within the U.S. Businesses Division that primarily focuses on creating, distributing, and administering a complex range of Life, Disability and Voluntary Benefits insurance products for many top Fortune 500 companies. Prudential has been underwriting group insurance plans since 1916. Today, our Group Insurance business unit is one of the nation's leading life and disability carriers, proudly servicing nearly 3,000 clients-and bringing Financial Wellness solutions to more than 22 million individuals. Group Insurance has operation centers across the United States.
The Specialty Risk Underwriting team consists of multi-disciplined underwriters responsible for advancing risk selection and decision- making development, conducting case reviews, serving as SME's on complex topics, as well as training and coaching.
In this position you will be responsible for assessing, calculating and specifying the conditions under which Prudential is willing to accept risk on group life and disability business for prospective and in-force customers. This includes, but is not limited to, the review and analysis of risk criteria, demographic data, financial data, rating formulas, case specific experience, product filings and statutory requirements. Additional responsibilities include:
- Independently applies Underwriting judgment, formulates pricing decisions, negotiates within their authority limit, and handles standard reporting requests. Proactively makes recommendations on cases and identifies creative solutions.
- Able to handle a high volume of medium complexity cases with little to no support.
- Independently communicates and negotiates with internal partners.
- Actively engages in supporting the positive consultative outcomes crucial to our long-term success.
- Creates accurate offers, standard experience reports and/or evaluations, projections for assigned accounts and may handle customized reporting requests. Makes projections based on emerging account experience and trends.
- Maintains updated records and case files in accordance with underwriting and records policies & procedures.
- Demonstrates an awareness of regional trends, competitive landscape and factors that influence the marketplace and regulatory environment
- Actively contributes to larger projects as a team member, demonstrating an understanding of both the upstream and downstream impacts of changes within and outside of Underwriting, may lead smaller scope projects within Underwriting.
- Serves as a resource for less experienced underwriters and is actively involved in the training/mentoring process.
Remote work is available.
What you'll need to succeed:
- A minimum of 3 years of underwriting experience involving Life, Disability, AD&D or Accident products.
- Proficient with in Microsoft Excel
- Strong mathematical skills
It'd be a plus if you have:
- Bachelors' degree
Back to top