Director Group Underwriting
- West Caldwell, NJ
For over 100 years, Prudential's diverse and talented employees have been committed to helping customers and their families grow and protect their wealth through a variety of products and services. We are known for delivering on our promises and are recognized as a trusted brand and one of the world's most admired companies.
Group Insurance is an operating unit within the U.S. Businesses Division that primarily focuses on creating, distributing, and administering a complex range of Life, Disability and Voluntary Benefits insurance products for many top Fortune 500 companies. Prudential has been underwriting group insurance plans since 1916. Today, our Group Insurance business unit is one of the nation's leading life and disability carriers, proudly servicing nearly 3,000 clients-and bringing Financial Wellness solutions to more than 22 million individuals. Group Insurance has operation centers across the United States.
The Director leads both the Technical and the Knowledge Management Teams. The Technical Team consists of senior level underwriters responsible for advancing risk selection and decision- making development, conducts case reviews, serve as SME's on complex topics, training and coaching. The Knowledge Management team is responsible for development, maintenance, monitoring and oversight of policies and procedures for the GI Underwriting Organization. The Director effectively uses strong organization, leadership, technical and communication skills to develop the staff's underwriting and business acumen.
In this position, you will lead managers and or supervisors of regional teams in a large organization focused on analyzing risk information and recommending new and renewal rates and policy terms. You will provide guidance on the most complex applications and will be responsible for developing team underwriting and business acumen. As the Director, you will be accountable for the unit's performance and results including but not limited to net revenue growth and profitability objectives. Additional responsibilities include:
- Assist in developing departmental policies operating plans and priorities.
- Collaborates with Distribution on appeals and case issues and on new business opportunities
- Coordinates with Claims Actuarial and other functions as appropriate.
- Supports and or periodically leads negotiations with clients or their intermediaries
- Supports and or leads assigned work streams of the underwriting functional plan and other material cross functional initiative
What you'll need to succeed:
- 10 years of Group Insurance experience
- 5 years of Underwriting experience
It'd be a plus if you have:
- Strong technical skills
- Solid strategic thinking skills
- Leadership and talent development experience
Back to top